Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bryant Gumbel...On The World Cup

Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™
    Transfer value?
    rod?

The amount the player is valued at when it comes to selling him to another club.

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

2. Lounge   -   #32
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    The players that play in the World Cup, and play well, get millions added to their transfer value. The global nature of the competition and the transfer market make this competition totally different from the other team sports that the US compete in.

There would be enough money to be gained by playing in it to keep even the most ultra-capitalist, non-patriotic US soccer player breaking his neck to star in it.
    OIC....somewhat. Transfer value?

To your last, there has to be enough interest in soccer first. That starts at the US market level first.
    No, it definitely doesn't.

The US teams wouldn't be able to afford to buy, say, Freddy Adu if he was a little older and if he lit up the world cup with his exceptional talent. A European club, however, would be able to buy him.

The club he is currently at would want a big transfer fee. Most of that goes to that club, but a percentage will go to the player and his agent, provided he doesn't request a transfer (that's the way it normally works). The player will sign a contract with the European club and earn far in excess of what he could in the US.

So, you see, there really doesn't have to be interest above the current level in the US market for the best US players to want to play at the World Cup in order to gain financially.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    OIC....somewhat. Transfer value?

To your last, there has to be enough interest in soccer first. That starts at the US market level first.
    No, it definitely doesn't.

The US teams wouldn't be able to afford to buy, say, Freddy Adu if he was a little older and if he lit up the world cup with his exceptional talent. A European club, however, would be able to buy him.

The club he is currently at would want a big transfer fee. Most of that goes to that club, but a percentage will go to the player and his agent, provided he doesn't request a transfer (that's the way it normally works). The player will sign a contract with the European club and earn far in excess of what he could in the US.

So, you see, there really doesn't have to be interest above the current level in the US market for the best US players to want to play at the World Cup in order to gain financially.
    Oh I gotcha. That's if they want to play in elsewhere. Funny enough, Freddy said he wants to play elsewhere.

We don't have the market here. As far as transfer value, we just call that a player's stock. It's best when a player wins a championship or plays exceptional especially when he's in his last year of a contract. When I talked about transfer value in the US market, I was referring to a player playing in the US. If our market is shit for the sport in the first place, a nice World Cup performance means very little in comparison to the European market.

If the US placed better in the World Cup it would have boosted the sport here. People simply would have took more notice (besides the fact the Disney stations televised it).
    Last edited by Busyman; 06-23-2006 at 12:59 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    If they had fireworks n stuff, you'd all watch it

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

5. Lounge   -   #35
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Yeah, the football transfer market is very different to the way in which I understand players move from club to club in US sport.

That's the thing, players playing in the MLS - or indeed any league outside of England, Italy, Spain or Germany will always be looking to get a transfer to one of those leagues.

That's why World Cup performances are so important. It's the only time many players there will get to play against top class opposition and prove themselves worthy of a place in one of the top leagues.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Cheese's Avatar Poster

It would take at least 50 years for a soccer obsessed USA to be a genuine contender for the World Cup, I think.
    A quicker plan would be to abduct all the children of the best footballers and raise them as an uber-team, that would take you around 20 years.

Or clone good footballers.

Or invade a country that is good at football and steal all their football resources.

Or they could make a film about the 1966 World Cup but change it to the USA team winning it. Like what they did with that submarine film.
    Last edited by Cheese; 06-23-2006 at 01:22 PM.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese

It would take at least 50 years for a soccer obsessed USA to be a genuine contender for the World Cup, I think.
    A quicker plan would be to abduct all the children of the best footballers and raise them as an uber-team, that would take you around 20 years.

Or clone good footballers.

Or invade a country that is good at football and steal all their football resources.
    There's an element of risk there, far better to arrest the top fifteen footballers in the world, detain them in Gitmo and make them take seventeen pledges of allegiance every day until they think they're American.

Then plastic surgurise them all to look like Franck Ribery while telling the rest of the world that the puntsphere boys are still being held

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bo
    If they had fireworks n stuff, you'd all watch it

We gotta win first.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese

Or they could make a film about the 1966 World Cup but change it to the USA team winning it. Like what they did with that submarine film.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Yeah, the football transfer market is very different to the way in which I understand players move from club to club in US sport.

That's the thing, players playing in the MLS - or indeed any league outside of England, Italy, Spain or Germany will always be looking to get a transfer to one of those leagues.

That's why World Cup performances are so important. It's the only time many players there will get to play against top class opposition and prove themselves worthy of a place in one of the top leagues.
    It's similar to the NBA here. Players make the most money in US basketball 'cause the market is bigger. Yao Ming makes 10 mill a year, of which, the Chinese gubment takes half.

He should just learn Engrish and deflect to Amarryka.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast