Thread: Computer Crashes When Watching Movies

HI,

The last 2 times I have tried to watch a movie on my computer the file will start out ok, then show signs of lag on voice and video and then crash my computer. I have Divx5.0 and WMP 6.4. I have installed the nemo codecs and was wondering what i may be missing? Also some movies play upside down in Divx?

My Codecs: Divx 5.0 - I263_32.drv - iccvid.dll - indeo video 5.10 - ir32_32.dll - ir41_32.ax - msh 261.drv - msh 263.drv - M-MPEG-4 video codec - Msrle 32.dll - Msvidc 32.dll - Xvid MPEG 4 video codec.

any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Nemo has been very buggy for me. I suggest removing all of your current codecs and use K-Lite Codec Pack or Divx_Total_Pack exclusively. Either one will have just about all the codecs you'll ever need.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    So your preatty sure its the codec that causes it? Is there another player I might try?

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Originally posted by laudanum@2 May 2003 - 08:40
    So your preatty sure its the codec that causes it? Is there another player I might try?
    Zoomplayer, Media Player Classic, or BS player will suffice. If that fails, then try the codec change. BTW, BS Player is included with K-Lite codec.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    ok, thanks.. one more question though.. could RAM be a big problem if i only have 256?

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Originally posted by laudanum@2 May 2003 - 08:53
    ok, thanks.. one more question though.. could RAM be a big problem if i only have 256?
    I have 256 MB myself and no problems here. But a slow PC can be a problem. You might also want to try VideoLan player. Many people report good playback on slower systems.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    there could be a lot of reasons for the crashing. it could be the fault of a codec or a player program... or your computer may have stability problems due to video card or sound card drivers, bad RAM or hard drive, a motherboard problem, etc.

if there is an error message that occurs during the crash, it would be a good idea to write it down and look for advice specific to that error.