Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: bittorrent Vs. newsgroup

Quote Originally Posted by T0TAL-RECALL View Post
    Never had problems finding anything on Newsgroups... Be it new old or very rare.

Also being able to request helps and 75% of the time my requests get filled within a matter of days.

I use BT also since Im with some major private sites but still much prefer Newsgroups.

Same here. As a matter of fact the other day I looked for about two hours for a particular file on BT (at least 20 different sites private and public) and eMule. It wasn't on the newsgroups either. I made a request on the newsgroups and, the next morning, there it was.

While I use BT a lot, I find that the newsgroups has what I want at faster speeds. I'm not worried about who gets the file first because the new stuff usually appears when I'm sleeping. When I get up, there they are on the newsgroups at my full speed.

The newsgroups did have a little bit of a learning curve to them but, I've been using them for so long, it's just become intuitive for me.

2. File Sharing   -   #52
    I used to use newsgroups but mainly for pics... havent tried it for files of a larger size. My ISP no longer hosts any newsgroups. Tried a free one with little success. Find the learning curve on this format allot harder. I think I will stick with torrents.

3. File Sharing   -   #53
    I use both but prefer newsgroups because I can max out my download rate and don't need to tie up my connection for any significant amount of time. The primary drawbacks I see with NG are the initial learning curve and the cost (ISPs typically give poor NG access).

4. File Sharing   -   #54
    Quote Originally Posted by albertadj View Post
    I used to use newsgroups but mainly for pics... havent tried it for files of a larger size. My ISP no longer hosts any newsgroups. Tried a free one with little success. Find the learning curve on this format allot harder. I think I will stick with torrents.
    same here

5. File Sharing   -   #55
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nonstopsa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by albertadj View Post
    same here
    It's not the learning curve. It's that fact that you have to put down money for a decent provider to have any success.

6. File Sharing   -   #56
    What are the best news groups for advance music ???

Thanks

7. File Sharing   -   #57
    andreqm's Avatar Jesus' Servant BT Rep: +1
    what are the nice groups that I should look for to know if my isp news server is good enough or not?

8. File Sharing   -   #58
    Andreqm - You could check for the large binary groups (e.g. alt.binaries.xxx). Typically, in a newsreader, you can download a list of all the groups your ISP carries and then add them if they exist. However, even if they do exist, another problem with newsgroups is retention. What this means is that some of the very large newsgroups have their contents purged (or unavailable) after a few days. That's another advantage of having a pay server.

9. File Sharing   -   #59
    greatest BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    newsgroup is old fashion Torrent is future

10. File Sharing   -   #60
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hyca View Post
    newsgroup is old fashion Torrent is future
    lol
    you're funny.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast