Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday, America!

manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    I've never asked you, Kev - do/can you claim dual standards?
    Why, no...do you?

Wait...upon further consideration, I must say as an American (U.S. specie) I feel we are subject to dual/different standards, yes.
    Well, I for one don't dumb down while talking to Americans - not one iota. It's against my interweb code of honour.

I am saddened that you think this happens
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Happy Boifday

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. Lounge   -   #23
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

Why, no...do you?

Wait...upon further consideration, I must say as an American (U.S. specie) I feel we are subject to dual/different standards, yes.
    Well, I for one don't dumb down while talking to Americans - not one iota. It's against my interweb code of honour.

No you're not.

I admit our status (such as it is) demands a different standard; after all, no one would be tagging us over Geneva Convention violations, etc., if more countries were taking their own hand dealing with terrorism.

How will you gauge the outcry when (as Vladimir Putin has promised) Russia avenges their people killed in Iraq?

Do you think they will play "Gitmo Games" with them?

Not bloody likely...

BTW-

That "interweb code of honour" line is classic.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    if more countries were taking their own hand dealing with terrorism.
    Last edited by Proper Bo; 07-05-2006 at 12:16 AM.

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

5. Lounge   -   #25
    manker's Avatar effendi

No you're not.

I admit our status (such as it is) demands a different standard; after all, no one would be tagging us over Geneva Convention violations, etc., if more countries were taking their own hand dealing with terrorism.

How will you gauge the outcry when (as Vladimir Putin has promised) Russia avenges their people killed in Iraq?

Do you think they will play "Gitmo Games" with them?

Not bloody likely...

BTW-

That "interweb code of honour" line is classic.
    Sometimes I forget if I was serious or not when I read back a post of mine - this, however, isn't one of those times. I knew what you were getting at and deliberately misinterperated in order to take a shot. I do it all the time, as you've probably noticed. Often, I can't be arsed to be serious.

Your perception might be that America gets it in the neck more than other countries and you'd probably be right but, for the most part, this isn't due to people wanting to take a shot at America simply because it's America - it's because they've heard something on the news and disagree with what's gone on.

America makes more news than any other country so it follows that there will be more events for people to disagree with. You mention Gitmo, if a different country, even the UK, had done exactly the same thing then my feelings of horror would be the same.

Of course, there are folk who are anti-American and will disagree with an American action because of this but, I assure you, those people are in the minority.

I honestly do think, as I've mentioned before, that you - and a few others - have something of a persecution complex when it comes to matters such as these.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing but it can prevent objectivity on occasion - for my part, if someone makes a post with an even slightly conflictory view to my own with concerning something close to my heart (as America naturally is to yours) then I react in a similar manner.

'tis natural, I think
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%
    What do americans do on their national day? (anthropological question)
    I know there are alot of parades with great sculptures
    but other than that do you eat special foods, do special traditions on this day?

Probably a lot like us Canadians did on July 1 st , BBQ with the family ,baseball games , parades and such . Fireworks are big here too little ones love it .

Happy Birthday America eh .

7. Lounge   -   #27
    tetrakis's Avatar Nucleophile BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    wow, i'm impressed. This thread is already 3 pages long and the america bashing is relatively inconsequential. In fact, a civilized discussion has emerged without resorting to silly name calling. Maybe we all can get along.

Though, i still will give it another 24 hours until most of the posts are mindless "america sucks, blah, blah, blah," nonsense.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    America makes more news than any other country so it follows that there will be more events for people to disagree with.

'tis natural, I think
    And that is the point I was trying to make.

The different standard is more aptly a problem of scale-we're fat bastards, after all.

As to your perception that I'm a bit "sensitive", I'd say I don't count the wrong people the wrong way, I count the right people the right way.

You know as well as I that there is no paucity of people who hate America for hate's sake.

I don't know anyone on this board who "hates" England, or Canada, or Scotland, or Ireland, or Spain (I don't hate France, BTW), or Iraq, or Iran, or Japan, or China, or Cuba, or Palestine (though there are plenty who hate Israel), etc., and that is what I am trying to reference.

As you say, it's only natural.

EDIT: SPELLING ERROR-I EMBOLDENED THE DELETED LETTER SO AS NOT TO HIDE MY EDIT, RAT-HOPE THAT'S OK.
    Last edited by j2k4; 07-05-2006 at 01:45 AM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrakis
    wow, i'm impressed. This thread is already 3 pages long and the america bashing is relatively inconsequential. In fact, a civilized discussion has emerged without resorting to silly name calling. Maybe we all can get along.

Though, i still will give it another 24 hours until most of the posts are mindless "america sucks, blah, blah, blah," nonsense.
    we don't do that here, we're more mature than that, cockface.

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken

I don't know anyone on this board who "hates" England (The Scottish, Welsh, Irish and some of the English for starters), or Canada (who could hate Canada or Canadians? They're just too damn NICE), or Scotland (The English, Irish and Welsh?) ,or Ireland (Need I say?) or Spain (Basques and Gebralterians(sp)?)(I don't hate France, BTW), or Iraq, or Iran, or Japan, or China, or Cuba, or Palestine (thought there are plenty who hate Israel), etc., and that is what I am trying to reference.

As you say, it's only natural.
    There isn't a "t" in though... damn Americans corrupting the language

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast