Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting caught downloading?

Poster BT Rep: +1
    Just wondering if you download a movie or something that would be illegal but your newsgroup provider doesnt log what you do would it be possible to be caught downloading?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    MPAA and the RIAA Is coming to your house now..delete everything and
    throw your illegal DVDRs into a pit of fire..!!you are under arrest

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Noooooo lol

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    clairebear
    lol just ignore him torrentguy

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Jimi...'s Avatar Mister Subtle
    Well put it this way, if you use torrent, your IP is logged and I'm pretty sure anything you download is logged too. So if the torrent server that you've been going through is seized, then your f*cked.

Usenet providers continually overwrite their logs to save space, you'd have to be pretty unlucky if you were in the logs at the time. But I reckon it's safer now to manually download the headers for each group and check them yourself rather than using indexing sites as the MPAA and RIAA are targeting indexing sites now.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    No one has ever proven that just downloading off Usenet is illegal. The DMCA really leaves the question of downloading only, a grey area.

When it was written back in 98 commercial piracy was the target, not the idividual user. To be in specific violation, and fall under anything with legal precedent (the mpaa/riaa laws suits) you would have to be distributing (uploading/sharing) something.

To make it clear, no one has ever been sued for just download anything.

*edit, spelling fix*
    Last edited by Broken; 07-10-2006 at 01:22 AM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi...
    Well put it this way, if you use torrent, your IP is logged and I'm pretty sure anything you download is logged too. So if the torrent server that you've been going through is seized, then your f*cked.

Usenet providers continually overwrite their logs to save space, you'd have to be pretty unlucky if you were in the logs at the time. But I reckon it's safer now to manually download the headers for each group and check them yourself rather than using indexing sites as the MPAA and RIAA are targeting indexing sites now.
    So we can say that it is more secure than torrent.Is there any third part tool
    for higer security.Dont look at me like that, as my log said i am noob.(i dont mean peerguardian,special for usenet,i searched but i couldnt find more about security.)

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Poster
    Really dont need much more security... Your newsgroup provider can only see the ammount you DL not what you DL. And uploaders cant track who or when files are DL so there are no fakes to catch people out because that just wont work.

So all in all the only way anyone would get busted is if a large org got user info from news provider and then use that info to get more info out of your ISP and then came to your house to take your HDD for testing.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by T0TAL-RECALL
    Really dont need much more security... Your newsgroup provider can only see the ammount you DL not what you DL. And uploaders cant track who or when files are DL so there are no fakes to catch people out because that just wont work.

So all in all the only way anyone would get busted is if a large org got user info from news provider and then use that info to get more info out of your ISP and then came to your house to take your HDD for testing.

What about nzb index sites? As i read above if it happens (ria etc...) there could be serious seccurity issues for users who use these indexing sites. am i wrong?

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pimiske
    Quote Originally Posted by T0TAL-RECALL

What about nzb index sites? As i read above if it happens (ria etc...) there could be serious seccurity issues for users who use these indexing sites. am i wrong?
    I expect most dont keep logs of users and what NZB files they DL so again it would be a matter of them getting info going to ISP to get more and then coming to collect HDD but due to the vast number of people using Newsgroups and NZB sites the easiest thing for them to do is attack the sites into a law battle and get them taken down.

I use Newzbin and it shows I have DL 34 NZB files in the last 7 days but not which ones so I would say that no log is kept of what I have got just how many.
    Last edited by T0TAL-RECALL; 07-18-2006 at 12:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast