Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the U.S. is not enamored of the World Cup

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    There was actually a fair number of goals scored and some fairly good matches. Holland and Portugal were the main divers and fakers most of the rest had their occasional Prima Donna moments but nothing serious. The Italy US game was largely down to a bad ref.

On the whole it was an enjoyable footie fest.

I think though that there has been far more coverage of the event in the US this time - must be all those Mexicans
    No it was becasue of ESPN. It was tried on network TV (ABC I think) and was a huge flop.

US television is great at hyping up anything and ESPN talked up the WC immensely. I don't know how successful it was though. I'm sure the US matches and the final drew the biggest ratings. One factor is that the matches came on over here at fucked up hours.

On the whole, for me, I saw what I needed to see in the quick highlights on ESPN.

GOAL, GOAL, RED CARD, RED CARD or more like

GOAL, RED CARD, RED CARD, YELLOW CARD, RED CARD, YELLOW CARD

Watching a piece of a match there just isn't anything else interesting. I did find the saves by Italy quite good though.

2. Sports Club   -   #12
    When i watch Basketball highlights it's all;

TEAM 1 SCORES, TEAM 2 SCORES, TEAM 1 SCORES, TEAM 2 SCORES.......

When people score in football it's a big event it means something, you go out onto the pitch knowing 2 or 3 goals will make you a national hero. Basketball you have to score 30-40 baskets just to be in with a chance of winning. So when someone scores it's just like "meh who cares only 39 more to go guys".

3. Sports Club   -   #13
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    After a promising start, the World Cup was a bit of a poor one I thought.

No real great teams showed themselves, and there wasn't even any great games.

I also heard on the radio today that it was the second lowest scoring World Cup ever.

4. Sports Club   -   #14
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™
    ...menial scores...
    What exactly is a "menial score"?

Quote Originally Posted by 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

The World Cup is the metric system in short pants.
    Ok i will try to explain this very simply.

Machismo comes from within, that is why Italy won.

It's not about ego.

Get it?
    HUH?

Apparently, you don't get it.

I will try to explain this very simply.

Insert this short phrase in front of my post:

"To sportsfans in the USA,"

Get it?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Sports Club   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    When i watch Basketball highlights it's all;

TEAM 1 SCORES, TEAM 2 SCORES, TEAM 1 SCORES, TEAM 2 SCORES.......

When people score in football it's a big event it means something, you go out onto the pitch knowing 2 or 3 goals will make you a national hero. Basketball you have to score 30-40 baskets just to be in with a chance of winning. So when someone scores it's just like "meh who cares only 39 more to go guys".
    In basketball every steal, blocked shot, missed pass, etc can (and usually does lead to a score) lead to a score.
    In basketball every score still means something 'cause you can still get beat with a second left.
    In basketball it is entertaining throughout as you can see a fella break someone's ankles then pass for an alley-oop dunk. It's fucking sweet. It's graceful. It's full of finesse without the anarchy.

Admittedly, and I've said this before, when a soccer goal is scored it's like the fucking 4th of July since it's so unlikely. However, the game otherwise is severely boring to watch while basketball is an overload of great play throughout.

Btw, in basketball there's is no "39 more to go". You score as much as you can....like in soccer *coughcough*.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 07-11-2006 at 12:48 AM.

6. Sports Club   -   #16
    low scores

7. Sports Club   -   #17
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    low scores
    Must be a new definition of the word, then, because it doesn't mean "low", it means "lowly".

That's different.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. Sports Club   -   #18
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I enjoyed most games I saw , the penalty kicks were the most exciting part of some games . Sadly what a cheap way to win tho .

9. Sports Club   -   #19
    low scores
    Must be a new definition of the word, then, because it doesn't mean "low", it means "lowly".

That's different.
    Oh gawd. Maybe you should rethink wanting to be a mod but try being a spelling/grammar/thesaurus/dictionary checker.

It also means dull and boring like the above quote.

10. Sports Club   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    I enjoyed most games I saw , the penalty kicks were the most exciting part of some games . Sadly what a cheap way to win tho .
    The penalty kicks and shoot-outs are kinda cool.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast