Thread: Overkill?

Do really need a 128 mb video card? I play lots of games and I do 3D modeling and a 32 mb card seems to be fine. I know that having a better video card will get me more fps but who cares. I watch TV at 30 fps and the people don't seem to jump around. What do those extra MB actaully get you?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    its speeds up ur PC basicly

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    if you have a slow graphics card in a fast system, the graphics card will act as a bottlenck and slow down the rest of your system
    128 meg could be considered as overkill, i think 64 would be good enough for your needs

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    When your rsrces are being pooled in Xp, it comes in handy for an awsome scene or 2or3d effect that has a fast refresh rate that may bog your cpu,

but overall, it's like having a Porsche that does 170mph, you can't drive that spd, in the US, but at least you can pass a slow car up hill, with a full load if you need to,lol

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    If you want to play new games you should defenitely go after 128mb.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Why cheat yourself. If you dont use games/app's that "need" 128MB, chances are you will in the "near" future.
    If you're going to spend money for a 64meg'r, just throw-in some money and get a 128 version, less you would be making a post next year asking why you would need a 256MB, when you could get by with a 128MB upgrade

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by wienerschnitzel@3 May 2003 - 03:26
    Do really need a 128 mb video card?  I play lots of games and I do 3D modeling and a 32 mb card seems to be fine.  I know that having a better video card will get me more fps but who cares.  I watch TV at 30 fps and the people don't seem to jump around.  What do those extra MB actaully get you?
    I agree with everyone else. More onboard RAM will not only give you better FPS in 3D games, it'll also take some of the load off your CPU and system RAM which should make everything run better. Besides, there's usually not that big of a price difference between the 64 and 128 versions of the same card. Just make sure you get DDR ram.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Isn't really all relative, I mean yea, a V8 has torque,, a 4cyl. has pep, But it just depends where you strengths are right?

I mean I have 128 onboard, and Never lag on any of my games, powerepoint, or avi,dvd,

Ofcoarse, I do have the muscle to cover the shared onbrd agp by intel, Awsome. faster that the second grphcs driver in my pci Gfce 4 64m.

so with 2ggs of (overkill)ram to pair up with a 1.8g p4, baby of the family, but very smooth with several high resorce sucking apps,

I watched x2 while plying Duke MP and dl fromKlte with 2monitors and very little shake,

So a 4barrel carb wont be any good to a 4cyl engine if it can't support such mass ammts of fuel.

I know it is overkill, but hey, keeps me out of the pubs, I come right home after work and speed in the fasttrack. I get bored with my stuff after I obsess on it for a few months, in the long run I have saved way more cash bying hdware, instead of liquid hopps. lol