Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrupt hd or something

ladytee's Avatar CatWoman
    About 2 to 3 dys ago, I turned on my laptop and walked away for a 1/2; had a ice cream emergency; any hoot I came back and the screen is displaying an error message that windows could not load. Here is msg: <windows root> \system32/ntoskrnl.exe. It further tells me to re-install. Sooo, no big I pop the operating disk in and try to do a recovery/repair - no go. Again, no big I decide I will try to re-install the entire operating system again but atlast I chickened out because Hey dude I have my life on this drive period. I finally became frustrated and tired and decided what the heck, I'll just re-install and start over - now it want let me, I get an error msg: that the hd is corrupt and it want let me delete the the partition and start over. HELP?????
    LadyTee

"Since my house burned down
    I now have a better view of the rising moon."
    -Mashide

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    All the major drive manufacturers offer DOS based diag tools that will recertify the drive without Windows being functional.
    Download the one applicable to you and see what it says.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    ladytee's Avatar CatWoman
    Thanks I will try that. I played around with it and finally got the ckdsk to work and then I did fixmbr and fixboot and cfg /rebuild and something else and I finally got windows to re-install and I was re-installing everything and clean it up and then yesterday it crashed again and boy I am some kind of pissed because I bought this laptop second handed of the internet. I am now wondering if I purchased a lemon. But I will what you said a shot.
    LadyTee

"Since my house burned down
    I now have a better view of the rising moon."
    -Mashide

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    gevorg's Avatar Live and let live!
    Make sure to backup all your important data, that hard drive might go bad again. Worst case: you'll have to buy a new hard drive.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    You cant rely on HD because they can go corrupt...you cant rely on cds coz they can get scratched...people im running out of backup methods!!!!
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Tapedrives

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva View Post
    You cant rely on HD because they can go corrupt...you cant rely on cds coz they can get scratched...people im running out of backup methods!!!!
    Use CDs or DVDs with write verify option. Make 2 copies for critical data.

Don't scratch them. Don't even touch the disk surface. Store them in a safe place.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Im using cd's n dvd's now but what are tape drives???
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I would get one of those LiveCds, like knoppix or XPE(google for them) first. They have graffical interface and will let you use your computer if your windows is toast. You can boot from CD and back all your data up to external usb storage. Good luck.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva View Post
    Im using cd's n dvd's now but what are tape drives???
    Tape Drives

It stores the data in a magnetic tape or puched tape.
    They last....a lot lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast