Thread: Shuttle X100

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I've owned a Shuttle for around 3.5 years now. I've been looking at computer hardware for the past year or so kicking around ideas of what to buy. "Kicking tires" so to speak. Though I've never had a single problem with my current PC, I've been telling myself not to buy another Shuttle. I just found it to be a pain in the ass to do any upgrading other than graphics cards due to the hardware's close arrangement.

Today I went by Shuttle's website and saw the X100. I want it.

Anyone have any educated opinions on this thing? I can see the pros, are there any cons?

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    The main question to be asked is, what will you be using it for?

Small form factor PCs are great, but you will have limited upgrade choices. (as you seem to understand already)

The next generation of PCs are upon us and the use of the PCI-express bus is gaining popularity.
    And by this, I don't mean just their use for graphics cards.
    More and more hardware will make use of this type of faster data throughput.

And, do you need multiple USB and Firewire ports?

For all but the hard-core gamer, artists & video editors, the small form factor PC will be fine.
    And if space is an issue, an external hard drive is simple enough to add for data storage.

That's my opinion based on the practicality perspective. (and I don't believe all the hype from hardware manufacturers)

I'm sure others will give their .02¢.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    If you only have that much room available, then get it. Thats what I think about them. I love building computers for the thrill of thinking...hmm I could have 5 750GB HDDs in this thing. And hiding all the wires and thinking of all the possible upgrades that could be done. The small form factor also has more problems with heat. They just dont do it for me....at all.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycary
    The main question to be asked is, what will you be using it for?

Small form factor PCs are great, but you will have limited upgrade choices. (as you seem to understand already)

The next generation of PCs are upon us and the use of the PCI-express bus is gaining popularity.
    And by this, I don't mean just their use for graphics cards.
    More and more hardware will make use of this type of faster data throughput.

And, do you need multiple USB and Firewire ports?

For all but the hard-core gamer, artists & video editors, the small form factor PC will be fine.
    And if space is an issue, an external hard drive is simple enough to add for data storage.

That's my opinion based on the practicality perspective. (and I don't believe all the hype from hardware manufacturers)

I'm sure others will give their .02¢.

Thanks for the input.

I'd have 3 of the 4 USB inputs used right off the bat, so yes.

I just realised though, that with this model, I wouldn't be able to utilize my two LCD's as there is only one DVI plug. Scratch this idea.

yo