Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second-hand part prices - EDO RAM & <4 GB HDD's?

I'm thinking to go hunting for some extra parts for an old PC I've recently rebuilt, and I'd like to know what are reasonable prices for the particular components I have in mind - you know, so I don't get ripped off.

What I'm thinking about is...
    -EDO RAM for 72-pin SIMM slot (4-meg and above)
    -IDE HDD between 800 MB and 4 GB (since that size seems to be the max on what this motherboard will handle)

How much would be reasonable for this kind of parts (speaking about secon-hand ones, mind you) and how much would be too much?

Thanks for any help on the subject.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Your wasting your time on that dinosaur , why not look for an PIII 500 -850 MHz
    at swap meets or computer store and play on that .

I can pick up one for $ 60.00 Can. with a least 128mb SDRAM and a 9gb hdd. everything but the monitor . To give you an idea I thru all my old parts out including edo memory I had in a drawer .8, 16, 32, mb strips .
    Last edited by peat moss; 07-13-2006 at 01:26 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    -EDO RAM for 72-pin SIMM slot (4-meg and above)
    -IDE HDD between 800 MB and 4 GB (since that size seems to be the max on what this motherboard will handle)

How much would be reasonable for this kind of parts
    $2 each.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Your wasting your time on that dinosaur , why not look for an PIII 500 -850 MHz
    For newer stuff I already have a 1,75 Ghz Sempron 2500+ with 1 GB of RAM and Radeon 9600. Not top-of-the-line, maybe, but it's allright.

The "dinosaur", as you have called it, is a completely different deal.
    Simply put, I am tired sick of having to use emulators to run DOS games on my modern machine.
    While the 16 MB of RAM I've installed is enough for DOS and some basic Win98 functionality, 24 or 32 would be preferable.
    Also, I had initially two hard drives installed into this computer, but unfortunately the 800-meg one that came way back in my first PC in 1995 had suffered a complete and utter failure of its electronics.
    While I know it would be technically possible to setup a dual boot on the remaining hard drive, getting a replacement HDD so that DOS and Win98 are both on completely separate physical drives is far preferable.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Does Windows 98 or DOS run on the newer 1.75 GHz machine?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Windows 98 runs on it pretty well (installed it on a spare 40 GB drive), but DOS-based games would have severe problems (CPU speed and the sound hardware).
    Either way, the older PC is also needed for word processing uses - that way my mother won't take over the faster machine and I don't run the risk of losing important files if she screws something up.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    Why are you playing DOS based games seems like a pretty relevant question..right about now.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    DOS>Windows XP. Fact.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Why are you playing DOS based games seems like a pretty relevant question..right about now.
    No modern game can beat the old classics, simply put.
    I'll take Duke Nukem 3D over Doom III any day, thank you.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    DOS games are great... Most the ones I play are the point n click but there all emulated real well using ScummVM so no need to run old PCs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast