Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thought this was hilarious...

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Who cares? to be honest a private company should be able to put any signs (apart from safety notices like fire exit) in whatever language it desires. There should be no requirement other than health and safety reasons to have translations in any other language than that desired by the business. It seems to me that if it was in a language other than English in the USA then the company would lose custom of english only speakers...that is their choice and their loss......
    Yes, they should, and currently are able to. But I don't want to hear any complaining either when it takes the fire department/ambulance/cop 30 minutes to arrive at the Chinese, Arabic, Vietnamese, or whatever business b/c they couldn't locate it due to the language barrier. Would you know what to look for if someone told you to go to 'Chao mung da den voi to am cua chung toi' ?

The fire department is only trying to help for crying out loud.

No one has even asked if the citizens in said district have any problem with this. Perhaps they are OK with it, and this is just another ACLU bellyache.

yo

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I wonder what right wingers have against that anti US document....the bill of rights?
    Last edited by vidcc; 07-17-2006 at 05:28 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Who cares? to be honest a private company should be able to put any signs (apart from safety notices like fire exit) in whatever language it desires. There should be no requirement other than health and safety reasons to have translations in any other language than that desired by the business. It seems to me that if it was in a language other than English in the USA then the company would lose custom of english only speakers...that is their choice and their loss......
    Yup that's pretty much what I think.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    With the usual rider, same rules for everyone.

If English speakers don't want to put up other language signs (other then H&S) then that's their choice too.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Imagine that..... The communist based ACLU fighting to not have english signs in America... Why doesn't that surpise me....

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by calm2chaos
    Imagine that..... The communist based ACLU fighting to not have english signs in America... Why doesn't that surpise me....
    Is the bill of rights a communist thing then?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Would it surprise you to hear that I agree?

It is not right-wingers who are making these asinine demands, after all-which leads me to ask:

What are you on about, vid?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    the anti aclu theme

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    the anti aclu theme
    I think they should drop the "A" part.

They are copping legitimacy illegitimately, you see.

Do you take pride in an organization which "fights the good fight" for such as NAMBLA?

Much as a political cartoon I saw recently:

A "representation" of a certain member-country of the Human Rights Council of the U.N., uttering these words-

"It's called the Human Rights Council, not the PRO-Human Rights Council..."
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    The ACLU has just one client...the bill of rights.... and the last time I checked that was American.
    Now we may not like the fact that some people have rights but that's the price of freedom. With your example the group has every right to exist as a group and campaign as they do, even though they are basically scum. What they don't have is the right to sleep with children.
    The ACLU is made up of Democrats, real Republicans, not the theocrats or neo-fascists that seem to have taken over, Independents, and every vairiant of political thought in between. It has members of all kinds of religious belief and disbelief. They have one mission, to protect the constitution and they do so no matter whos behalf each case is raised on.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast