Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Quick question

  1. #1
    Hey.

    I was currently downloading a torrent file at about 50kb/s before I had to restart my computer for something. I turned it back on and I went to Preferences (using uTorrent) and I changed my max upload speed to 2.0k/bs because It said I have uploaded 2 freaking gigs of one file. The k/bs is now staying at 12k/bs.

    My question is, does your max upload speed alter the overall download speed? Or does the speed just come from other users? It is saying the download will take 2 days now but when it was going 50 it was going to finish within today.

    Sorry I have been using Bittorrent for about 3 days now and just getting used to this.

    Thanks

  2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    "My question is, does your max upload speed alter the overall download speed?"

    nope, It shouldn't

  3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    justinius23's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Belfast, United Kingdom,
    Age
    35
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade
    Hey.

    I was currently downloading a torrent file at about 50kb/s before I had to restart my computer for something. I turned it back on and I went to Preferences (using uTorrent) and I changed my max upload speed to 2.0k/bs because It said I have uploaded 2 freaking gigs of one file. The k/bs is now staying at 12k/bs.

    My question is, does your max upload speed alter the overall download speed? Or does the speed just come from other users? It is saying the download will take 2 days now but when it was going 50 it was going to finish within today.

    Sorry I have been using Bittorrent for about 3 days now and just getting used to this.

    Thanks
    whats wrong with that? sharing is caring
    you look like i need a drink....

  4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by justinius23
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade
    Hey.

    I was currently downloading a torrent file at about 50kb/s before I had to restart my computer for something. I turned it back on and I went to Preferences (using uTorrent) and I changed my max upload speed to 2.0k/bs because It said I have uploaded 2 freaking gigs of one file. The k/bs is now staying at 12k/bs.

    My question is, does your max upload speed alter the overall download speed? Or does the speed just come from other users? It is saying the download will take 2 days now but when it was going 50 it was going to finish within today.

    Sorry I have been using Bittorrent for about 3 days now and just getting used to this.

    Thanks
    whats wrong with that? sharing is caring
    Haha true, but I just don't want to upload too much since I have done it earlier in the month...so if i go over the limit then the ISP will cut off the service.

    So if my MAX upload is at 2kb/s now, then the download speed is coming from other people? nothing has to do with my upload speed?

  5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade

    So if my MAX upload is at 2kb/s now, then the download speed is coming from other people? nothing has to do with my upload speed?
    sure, your down speed is coming!! Yes! chill out !

  6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    ghurka's Avatar Welsh Bhoy BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLesija
    "My question is, does your max upload speed alter the overall download speed?"

    nope, It shouldn't
    Thats wrong. Every bit of advice I've ever seen for any BT client states that if you max your upload then your download speed may suffer.

    Whilst you are downloading restrict your upload speed to about 80% of it's max.

  7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    justinius23's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Belfast, United Kingdom,
    Age
    35
    Posts
    80
    your max upload speed has a detrimental effect on downloads if it is set too high. that is why you're supposed to set max (overall)l upload speed to 80% of your theoretical max upload speed (given by your isp).

    i think the other 20% is used to communicate with the tracker and so on.

    but i have also heard the bittorrent protocol works best when the users in the swarm are sharing like for like with each other ie. if you are uploading to someone there is more chance of downloading from him in return. a bigger upload speed for this torrent might speed it up.

    i am open to corrections here if i am wrong guys. i'm by no means an expert.

    oh, and caps suck. what isp are you with?
    Last edited by justinius23; 07-15-2006 at 05:14 PM.
    you look like i need a drink....

  8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by justinius23
    your max upload speed has a detrimental effect on downloads if it is set too high. that is why you're supposed to set max (overall)l upload speed to 80% of your theoretical max upload speed (given by your isp).

    i think the other 20% is used to communicate the tracker and so on.

    but i have also heard the bittorrent protocol works best when the users in the swarm are sharing like for like with each other ie. if you are uploading to someone there is more chance of downloading from him in return. a bigger upload speed for this torrent might speed it up.

    i am open to corrections here if i am wrong guys. i'm by no means an expert.

    oh, and caps suck. what isp are you with?
    Cogeco is my ISP.

    I am just saying because i thought something was up. I was getting 50kb/s when the upload speed was set default, but now thats its set at 2kb/s i am getting no more then 12kb/s.

  9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    I've just changed MAX upload to 15kb/s and now I am getting 20-30kb/s range...maybe it does have something to do with it.

  10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Setting your ul at 2k is useless if you consider that you might connect to more than just a couple of peers all your going to be doing is wasting packets sending overhead and info. This may be the cause of lower dl speeds as the other clients may see nothing worth anything coming from you although Im not sure about that.

    It also seems the more peers you connect to ul the more you will dl from as I recall since you get priority since your ul to them already. Think around 25K should be the lowest you set your client if thats within the 80% range of your ul speed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •