Thread: Oblivion Tweaks and Tricks of the Trade

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

Arrow

The best Oblivion tweaking guide: http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

The best Oblivion glitch/trick/exploit guide: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Glitches

What are your thoughts on Oblivion.ini tweaks?
    Personally, I didn't see any difference in performance.

If you have a Gigabyte mobo, you can use the program EasyTune5 to up your CPU speed about 200-300 mhz. I normally up mine 400mhz actually. Some claim oblivion has glitches with overclocked CPUs, but I have yet to encounter one. This trick helps me gain a lot more performance in the game. Haven't had a single stability issue in the whole month I've been playing.

Anyone have anymore information on Oblivion tweaks and tricks?

I remember how DOOM3 had this one tweak that "really" improved it's performance. You'd extract the game files from their archives.

I've been wanting to do the same with Oblivion's game files from their archives, but have yet to find out how. I'm sure this'd prove to be very similar performance wise.
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 07-16-2006 at 02:24 PM.

2. Games   -   #2
    Poster
    I think too many people have problems with the average performance, making it a reason to not enjoy the game, because it is simply not that good a game.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

3. Games   -   #3
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    my friend has a 3000+ venice, and when he Oced it to 2.2ghz he had glitch problems with obi. When he ran stock speed, everything was fine.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

4. Games   -   #4
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp
    I think too many people have problems with the average performance, making it a reason to not enjoy the game, because it is simply not that good a game.
    The game is immense if you have the hardware to play it, I wouldn't bother trying to play it on anything but the latest of graphics cards though.

5. Games   -   #5
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    It looks quite nice on my X1600 Pro (256MB AGP). I've never used anything "better" though, but from the 30odd minutes I did spend with the game before my XP Barton core died due to an unrelated matter, the game did look quite stunning graphic wise, stable too

6. Games   -   #6
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    No performance gains here, I still run the game on 1024x768 with everything on mid-high. not good enough.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

7. Games   -   #7
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    The game is good but only for those who have the hardware to enjoy it.
    If the system is slow then you'll be bothered pretty soon (loading times...) and the 5* game everyone talks about turns into a pain in the ***

No improvements here too

8. Games   -   #8
    The thing is, you don't need everything on max and an awesome to enjoy Oblivion - I enjoyed playing it with a R9700, 3200+.

9. Games   -   #9
    I was really excited about Oblivion but It is so choppy on my bucket of a computer that I put it aside and started a new character in Morrowind.
    By the time I have enough money to upgrade my machine there will be a new elder scrolls out.