Thread: Anyone downloading with a 5Mbps dsl connection?

This question is for those of you that are currently using a 5Mbps dsl connection to download. My current isp provider gives me up to 7Mbps download but they have a cap as to how much a month I can download, I am looking into another provider that is a touch slower at 5Mbps download but with no cap. Just so I can compare how long does it typically take to download 4Gig?, I'm usually around 1hr. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster
    maybe try this download calculator > http://www.dslzoneuk.net/calculator.php

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I'm on a 5Mbit cable connection, and get right at 600kB/s with usenet.

Grabs 1GB every half hour, so 4GB = 2 hours.

Have you thought of getting a cable connection instead of DSL? I've not heard of any caps on download limitations with cable, at least not around here...

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Poster
    I'm with a business ISP on Max ADSL (8Mbps)... Newsdemon is my Newsgroup provider and with them I get 6Mbps (Megabit) DL thats 750KB (Kilobyte)...

To complete a 4.7GB DVD...

It will take 90 min. 32 sec. 1Hour 30Mins 32Secs (Average at 6Mbps)

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Damnatory
    Have you thought of getting a cable connection instead of DSL? I've not heard of any caps on download limitations with cable, at least not around here...
    Actually, it's the exact opposite every where I've ever lived, any provider I've ever read about. Cable has the worse restrictions on loading the plant, since it's a shared (with your neighbors and up to the entire city) system (which is why they don't allow running things like Web sites, FTP servers, and frown on Peer-to-Peer in general, and such w/o paying top tier price wise, if then). DSL is a non-shared straight pipe to the central office, where the internet connection is multiple Gigabits (in fact, most connections are at least in the 100Gb/s range upwards).

What is your provider, you don't mention that; are you sure you arn't talking about the 'ISP', not the actual circuit provider?

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies. I am currently using a cable connection with cogeco cable in Canada but as mentioned they limit dload to 30gig a month. And the DSL through Bell Canada is yes alittle slower but offers no caps on downloading.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Seems an obvious choice dosent it...

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by neo74
    Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies. I am currently using a cable connection with cogeco cable in Canada but as mentioned they limit dload to 30gig a month. And the DSL through Bell Canada is yes alittle slower but offers no caps on downloading.
    Rogers gives me a limit of 60gb a month but since they started that rule i've gone over it every month.
    I sometimes double it.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by neo74
    Yep, cableco's. Other Canadians chimed in with their lot in life on Rogers, it's about the same in the US with Comcrud, Time-Warner, you name it. The only 'cable' company w/o any restrictions I can see in their customer agreements is Verizon FIOS, and the bandwidth is 'drop your jaw' fast, on a system the is basically 'shared', but main line speeds are well about 20-100Gb/s. But only a few select areas have it, and rollout is fairly slow.

The speed vrs. availability will continue to be with us for quite a while yet; the cable folks can get you excellent speed, irrespective of your cable 'drop' from the 'main plant'. DSL will always be restricted by footage distance from either the central office or RDT (remote data unit), in either case the amount of feet from that point to your premise. The Telco's got sidetracked several years ago onto pushing ADSL2, which allowed them to combine both the traditional POTS (plain old telephone service) and a DSL stream over the same line; of course, the DSL had to be downgraded to achieve this, lowering speeds dramatically. What they didn't 'figure' on, is that the DSL could carrly the phone circuit under digital VOIP (voice over internet protocol) rather than analog, thereby allowing the high throughput of 'true' DSL.

That's the trick; whereas my local Telco (verizon) offered DSL up to 1.5M/128K over shared systems (telephone+DSL), a competitive provider offered DSL at rates of 8M/768K, over the exact SAME copper pair! Simply no POTS phone, but hook up your VOIP and away you go!

FYI, my 'traditional' phone service cost over $40+ a month (and going higher), and the VOIP phone is $15! (Basic service, 500 minutes a month, with free LD to North America and western Europe, callerID, Voice mail, all the nice things the telco dings you for big time. Unlimited calling is $25, but for me would be a waste.

The cableco's around me block such products (except their own, of course), from working. Verizon was doing the same, trying to force people into buying their product (at twice the price) than free market folks like Vonage, ect. But the system I'm on now has virtually no restrictions, I can even sub-divide my circuit either wire or wireless/wifi, they'll even handle the billing! Plus of course, I run two web sites from my home, something both the cableco's and Verizon frown heavily upon.

So, it comes down to what you want to do. Yes, in my situation, Comcrud offers the same speeds (downlink wise, not uplink), at about half the price, but then all those restrictions: bytes transferred, slowdowns during evening and weekend hours, minimal uplink speed, outages, ect. The only restriction on DSL, generally, is the distance; and eliminating the phone service (and you can always have two drops into you house, for **** sake), on the DSL line will ramp up significantly both the distance and speed.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    I have a 1 meg cable connection with no caps (im in uk btw) but I dont have a usenet account, was gonna buy one but i needed to get other stuff.