Thread: I don't get Pay newsgroups

Dedalus^'s Avatar The Truth is Out BT Rep: +3

Question Mark

Hey,

I don't use newsgroups very often...
    i tried grabit once, with my ISP newsgroup, but most of the files were missing =P.

Anyway, there's one thing i don't get about pay newsgroups. Why.. would people pay for filesharing? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of pirating?

I know newsgroups are like 50-100KB/s faster than torrents, at most.. but is it worth paying $30 a month for it, when you can torrent stuff for free?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    go home torrent fan boy .. if u dont like it .. dont use it..we dont need u..get the f*ck out..lol
    torrents are for poor folks who cant afford newsgroups or too stoopid to use it..like u
    Last edited by riceboi; 07-18-2006 at 09:04 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dracophi
    Hey,

i tried grabit once, with my ISP newsgroup, but most of the files were missing =P.

Anyway, there's one thing i don't get about pay newsgroups. Why.. would people pay for filesharing? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of pirating?

I know newsgroups are like 50-100KB/s faster than torrents, at most.. but is it worth paying $30 a month for it, when you can torrent stuff for free?
    LMAO... 50-100KB faster

These are what I get on BT & Newsgroups...

Bittorrent Max DL - 2.7Mbps
    Newsgroups Max DL - 6Mbps

Also its not filesharing because we dont share files... we leech from a source that requires no upload on our part unless were the ones supplying the files to the servers.

A few points why Newsgroups are better...

1. Secuirty
    2. Speed
    3. Volume of content
    4. No ratio to keep

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Your internet connection isn't free so torrents aren't free by dint of that fact.

People pay for premium usenet access because they want a good service and that's how you get it.

It's also very unlikely to get you nabbed by the RIAA or MPAA because in order to find out what you've downloaded they'd have to be looking at you in the first place. Since downloading from usenet leaves no public trace they're not going to know you're doing it in order to investigate you.
    Uploading to usenet is not quite as safe and depends entirely on the ballz your provider has.

Safe torrenting, of course, is entirely reliant on not connecting to an investigative body. Private trackers are much safer than public ones but who's to say the MPAA haven't infiltrated any?
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by T0TAL-RECALL

That should be:
    Newsgroups CONSTANT DL - 6Mbps
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    clairebear
    Let me just add this little comment right here "YAY NEWSGROUPS + NEWSSERVERS YAY" ok little shout over

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    Hey,

newsgroups arnt 50-100KB/s faster than torrents...
    torrents can be at any speed dapending on the seeders, overall i hate torrents now cos of how slow they r.
    public trackers u get like 10-50kbs which is total crap.

newsgroups u can max ur connection out right away, which is 760kbs for me. so thats like 710kbs more than torrents if ur wanting to compare it like that.

as for the paying part, its not like ur paying for each file u download, as someone here said its just the same as for ur isp u pay them so u can connect to the net. this is just let connecting to newsservers.

ur not going around newsgroups picking films and paying $5 each for them. its as much as u want unless u got a 20gb amonth newsgroupsp account or what ever, but there crap i just did 20gb last night so yea... useless if u want to use it for a month

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I get free newsgroup access from my isp, its only 7 day binary retention but its good enough. I specifically picked this isp because of it knowing i would get a constant max download speed for my line through newsgroups.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by T0TAL-RECALL
    Hey,

LMAO... 50-100KB faster

Also its not filesharing because we dont share files... we leech from a source that requires no upload on our part unless were the ones supplying the files to the servers.

A few points why Newsgroups are better...

1. Secuirty
    2. Speed
    3. Volume of content
    4. No ratio to keep
    +1 agree to that one, i used to be a torrentfan but since i got newsgroups i been hocked on it ever since. I havent look back once at torrents, its just the speed and time u save downloading from newsgroups that makes it so worth it. Plus, for some reason, tell me if i am wrong, but all the latest stuff seems to come out on newsgroups first(after topsites of course) and then irc, torrents, etc etc. One good example is the POTCdeadmans chest release by Dank, it was on newsgroups first, i tried to look for it on torrent sites and such but didnt find it.

Sorry for the long essay but, final verdict, newsgroups will always beat torrents on speed and time and availability + on some other stuff as well.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Newsgroups will almost always max out your connection, and fast.
    Paying 14$ a month or so to download as much free content as you want is a little price to pay anyway.

With torrents you get many headaches such as a) on public trackers it takes forever to connect, you get crap speeds most of the time, and b) on private trackers you need to keep your ratio up by uploading (so limited download) or else you get banned, plus it's hard to get in untill you get a good rep on another private tracker or have friends on some trackers.

Newsgroups is headache free and very quick.