Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft confirms 'iPod Killer'

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    [news=http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4231/microsoftzuneipodkillerdetails1cs7.jpg]Microsoft confirms 'iPod Killer'
    Tech giant confirms plan for new 'Zune' music and entertainment project after months of speculation.
    July 21 2006: 7:08 PM EDT

SEATTLE (Reuters) -- Microsoft Corp. said Friday it plans to release a new music and entertainment player and accompanying software under the "Zune" brand this year, in a belated attempt to challenge the dominance of Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod player.

The announcement comes after weeks of rumors and speculation about such an offering. Microsoft (Charts) has already touted the products to record companies.

"Under the Zune brand, we will deliver a family of hardware and software products, the first of which will be available this year," said Chris Stephenson, general manager of market for entertainment and services at Microsoft, in an statement. "We see a great opportunity to bring together technology and community to allow consumers to explore and discover music together."

The world's largest software maker faces an uphill climb in closing the gap on Apple's (Charts) iPod media player and iTunes Music Store, the runaway leaders in their respective areas.

The iPod holds more than half of the digital media player market, according to research company NPD, while iTunes accounts for over 70 percent of U.S. digital music sales. In the United States, the iPod has more than 75 percent of the digital music player market, according to NPD.

"Creating a lifestyle device, Microsoft is clearly going to face a battle here," said Michael Gartenberg, research director at JupiterResearch. "It's going to be hard for them to create the same level of cachet that Apple has with the iPod."

Music industry sources told Reuters earlier this month that Microsoft disclosed plans to be in the market before Christmas with a media player that will allow users to download videos and music wirelessly.

It will also try to replicate Apple's simple approach to providing an integrated, seamless ecosystem for digital media, seen as the key to its success with iPod/iTunes, the sources said.

"What Apple has done really successfully is they've controlled all the elements of the solution," said Gartner analyst Mike McGuire. "But having all of those elements does not guarantee success - just look at Sony."

Sony (Charts) introduced a music service as well as its own software and player, which has to date failed to dent Apple's share of online music sales or sales of the iPod.

Microsoft did not disclose pricing for the new media player or whether it would be willing to take losses on the hardware to make money from the sale of music, video and possibly games. This is the strategy it adopted with Xbox game console.

"The iPod is going to be a tough nut to crack, but you probably could have said the same thing with Sony and the PlayStation and it has done a good job positioning the Xbox," said Toan Tran, analyst at Morningstar.

Microsoft sources said Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's entertainment and devices division, is working with J Allard, vice president of its Xbox team, on the digital media player/software project.

Allard's involvement is seen as significant because he is one of the few executives at Microsoft with experience in launching a consumer electronic device from scratch with the X-Box gaming system. His involvement suggests that gaming might be part of the media player.

Analysts also said Microsoft will be very aggressive marketing the product as it did with the Xbox. "It definitely is a big bet," said Morningstar's Tran. "Microsoft definitely has its work cut out for it, but the company has massive financial resources and it's very persistent."

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/21/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes[/news]

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    They should name it iBOB or iBOMB!

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo

At first I thoguht it looked hideous.
    Then I kinda started to like it.
    Then hated it again.

It looks alright...I like the big screen ...but that wheel in the middle like ipod's clickwheel is ugly and looks cheap/breakable (but I'd have to see better pics or see one in real life to know for sure).

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    iPods look much nicer than whatever that is.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Poster
    I like this player... I never liked the IPOD look gay for me, and everyone has it so I avoid having something everyone has it. that just me

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco

At first I thoguht it looked hideous.
    Then I kinda started to like it.
    Then hated it again.

It looks alright...I like the big screen ...but that wheel in the middle like ipod's clickwheel is ugly and looks cheap/breakable (but I'd have to see better pics or see one in real life to know for sure).
    Hideous doesn't even begin to describe that.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Hideous? It's just boring.

However, I never gave mucha shit about esthetics. I like features, ease of use and compactness more than anything. That's why the iPod is shit to me compared to other obviously better portable players.

If it has a nice color screen and good features, fuck all else.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'd never buy one for myself but the kids hell ya . Mabye it will bring the price down and give us consumers a choice .

You know what poorly made , scratched up screen can I spend my hard earned money on .

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    It should feature a 1-color blue screen....

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    That black line around the screen and center wheel is a little bit ugly...
    Center wheel also is boring but then again yes, the most important is the quality and specs of the device

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast