Thread: Some simple, hopefully not stupid, questions from a new user

I just started using bittorrent, and not knowing what was the best, I just chose BitTorrent. I've tried downloading 4 files; the first came in quick and easy, while I've not yet gotten anything on the other 3, despite the health of the torrents being rated anywhere from okay to good on the sites I've found them on. I'll admit that I don't really know much about bittorrent, so I'd appreciate any help with the following;

1. Does it really matter which client you use? Would I be better served using bitcomet or bittornado, etc, instead of BitTorrent?

2. Am I in some sort of line with the three torrents that have as of yet not downloaded at all, and therefore put myself at the back of the line by exiting BitTorrent? Should I just stay online until they start, or go with another service and start over?

3. Does 'force-starting' a torrent actually work? Does setting the priority as 'high' actually do anything?

4. When you find a file, and the hosting site says something along the lines of 'you need a BitTorrent client like Bitlord (or uTorrent, etc) to download this file', is that just the preference of the site for a particular client, or does it represent some sort of promotional arrangement, or does it mean that the particular, listed client would be the best for downloading that particular torrent file?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but for now, these will do

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    1. is Bittorrent a client? never heard about that.. A and yes, It matters, for example some clients are banned from some private trackers,so the best choise I think would be Utorrent, the newest bitcomet, maybe Auzerus

2. didn't understand this one.. do whatever you like, nothing bad won't happen

3. setting a priority will realy help you to set the priority , at least it should
    why do you need this "force starting" ,It will not make your line faster

4. about "you need a BitTorrent client like Bitlord (or uTorrent, etc) to download this file" - the site just reminds you, that you will need a some kind of bittorrent client to download this, that's all You can choose any client you would like

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    @chazzster: welcome to FST. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

The first thing you should do is read the stickies https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=83827

1) I guess it doesn't realy matter which client you use but I would sugest either UTorrent or Azureus, though UTorrent is in my opinion much better as it's not so system heavy. The reason for this is that alot of other clients don't send out good data and some sites won't accept them.

2) If there are alot of seeders and leachers you should be able to download the file your router or firewall may be blocking BT traffic (read the stickies)

3) force starting the torrent will start the download even if you have a number of other files downloading. It's not usualy the best Idea as your bandwidth can only take so many files at full speed. Upping the priority does just that it downloads it before another torrent which is qued in your client.

4)any client can download any torrent no problem they're just trying to make it easy for no0bs. though as I said before Its best to use UTorrent or Azureus

Good luck

EDIT: @NOLesija: ya beat me to it
    Last edited by sear; 07-23-2006 at 05:09 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    Well it's everything clear, i just like to add the following:

I think you should start with µtorrent. Why? because it's fast, light and pretty easy to configure. Also is widely accepted by most private trackers. Not much options as Azureus but that isn't important...

Yes, setting the priority higher will work. Watch when you're uploading several torrents, setting 1 to "High" and the other "Low".

@NOLesija
    yes, there's a client named "Bittorrent". It was the first client i think or maybe one of the 1st.

Be

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    wmrawls's Avatar Member
    uTorrent, hands down is the easiest to set up and use for a newbie...well at least in my mind it is.