Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formatted HD Reinstalled windows yet.....

gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    My PC was becoming very slow and the usual disk defragment and the antispyware programs were not doing the job. I formatted my HD and then reinstalled windows. For like 3 hours my PC was back to normal and then all of a sudden it became slow again. My video files werent playing properly and music wasnt playing properly and also windows took ages to start up.

Whats wrong also might i add......I have 1GB RAM and it only shows as 512MB so i figured one is damaged but it seemed neither were damaged yet 512MB was shown....anything to do with that??
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    Do you get BSOD's (blue screen of death errors)?
    It seems the problem is the memory, 1 dimm. It might be corrupted, you must test it: try to identify what dimm is having the problem and then boot pc with it, use memtest and see if you get any errors after some time runing.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I dont get any blue screens of death lol. To put it simply....my computer is gone really slow for some reason. I will try the taking the RAM out well one of them and see which one is bad...but you see i tried that and it seems non of them are damaged. Could the hard drive be damaged? It might but i doubt it because it was working at normal speed then all of a sudden became real slow.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    -Check the "properties" tab for your drive in Device Manager and see what mode your drive is running under.
    -Recertify your drive.
    -Move the RAM around and check that the full 1GB is recognized.
    -Run Memtest.
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva
    my computer is gone really slow for some reason
    Define "really slow".
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva
    I dont get any blue screens of death lol. To put it simply....my computer is gone really slow for some reason. I will try the taking the RAM out well one of them and see which one is bad...but you see i tried that and it seems non of them are damaged. Could the hard drive be damaged? It might but i doubt it because it was working at normal speed then all of a sudden became real slow.

I mentioned bsod's because i have 1 dimm with problems and sometimes i get them (bsod's) due to multiple IRP requests.

Well, that way, it could be a lot of things, depending on your system....
    When you're watching videos, they kind like stop and start, intermittent behaviour?
    See if you have bad sectors in the HD...
    There's a possiblity being a virus or a trojan...

These are suggestions, the source of the problem could be completely different though

Check this:
    spyware or malware running on the computer.
    viruses that are running on the computer.
    do not have sufficient free space on the hard disk.
    do not have sufficient random access memory (RAM) installed on the computer.
    corrupted or outdated drivers.
    Last edited by FreeDoom; 07-25-2006 at 03:15 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Just as bodygard mentioned....when i play audio or video files it doesnt seem to be normal speed it jitters and the sound goes wayyyy off. The only way it works CLOSE TO NORMAL is when i have no applications running. Also i dont think i have any viruses becasue i just formatted the HD and fresh install although i am not sure about the bad sectors in HD. Also i tried reconfiguring the rams and putting them in different slots but the results are the same.

When i put one in then it comes on as 512MB (obviously) but when i put two in it still comes as 512MB. Then i figured one was damaged but when i put the other one on its own it worked and come up as 512MB. See what i mean now? Although it used to show as 1GB before then all of a sudden 512MB. When it first showed as 512MB it showed no signs of error such as slow reaction by pc. In actual fact it was running like normal.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Your motherboard may be going. How old is it? If it were me I would open up the pc and just start reseating everything I could from the pci cards to the drives and all connections on the board. Then I would restart into the bios and reset defaults and go from there.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    My MOBO is only like 6 months old...and i am lost.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Like Appzalien said, it seems there's a problem with the board. Update your bios if you haven't done this yet and then clear cmos.
    Then go to bios and check every option to see if there's something wrong.
    What is your cpu? A64 for example, as an option in bios (Cool 'n' Quiet) that makes the movies and games not so fluid, check that if it's the case and disable it. Intel also have EIST, similar to Cool'n'Quiet.

I'm runing out of ideas...

Be
    Last edited by FreeDoom; 07-25-2006 at 03:26 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Throw it into a pool. If it floats then it is most likely possesed by evil spirits.

Or you might want to just run a quick tech diagnostic program on it. It takes a while but it is very thorough when it comes to hardware errors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast