Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Riaa

OK, macro or micro? We talking quantum mechanics or inter-galactic shit?

I mean, in QM, position is everything...

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Jibbler@4 May 2003 - 20:22

If only I could fit my avatar head into the ass of your avatar
    Many are called, but few are chosen!
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    Poster
    Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@5 May 2003 - 02:44
    Yep. BTW, some dirt around here is even older than you.
    Hehe, I'm certain of it. One of the biggest misnomers about the file-sharing community is that it's populated exclusively by the 13-35 crowd. Heck, just as an experiment, I logged on and did a search for "Winston Churchill" ... and a full page of people sharing his speeches popped up.

Makes me wonder how many people using this software even know who he was, hehe.
    "Hoagy Carmichael" Who's He?
    It sounds to me were all over 35.

Btw "OlderThanDirt" I like'd your posts better than the NY times.
    Great Stuff!

Gotta get me some churchill!

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    Geez you guys are on a roll, and I have only been gone a day.
    By the way OlderThanDirt, I don't know how you arrived at this board, but nice havin' ya.

I must say prior to becoming a member I did not expect to see members such as yourself, or TIDE for that matter.
    You guys will make gOOd company as cellmates (haha).

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    By the way OlderThanDirt, I don't know how you arrived at this board, but nice havin' ya.
    Thanks. Just popped into the forum after the Grokster/StreamCast court decision to see if anyone was countering the myth of the RIAA being the "good guy" in this whole brouhaha. Frankly, I'm flabbergasted at how mainstream media portrays file-sharing as EVIL and yet is willing to give a wink and a nod to the RIAA after the music industry, thanks to our courts, got away with the biggest ripoff of music consumers in history ... and even got to keep 65% of the $400,000,000 they stole from us (a crime that started at least 4 years before Napster was developed).

My mind boggles (sigh). What we're witnessing now isn't good vs. evil ... it's big thief vs. little thief, with the little thieves trying to steal back part of what the big thief had already stolen from them.

You guys will make gOOd company as cellmates (haha).
    Hmmm ... I hear some prisons give inmates access to computers (grin).

6. File Sharing   -   #36
    olderthandirt i enjoyed your post.

7. File Sharing   -   #37
    Poster
    Yeah they did the same damn thing with DAT (digital audio tape) players.
    They killed that for years and when they finally decided to compromise and let people make 1 copy (digitally) it was to little to late.
    The technology was getting old and CD's were taking over the market.
    Speaking of which I was in Japan in 1981-1984 and cd's were already there!
    1981!!
    I did'nt even know what they were at first.
    I don't think they were allowed in the US untill 1984 or 5 or later.
    I'm not shure what went on then but it just had to be the RIAA.

1981 !!!

8. File Sharing   -   #38
    Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@5 May 2003 - 23:49
    My mind boggles (sigh). What we're witnessing now isn't good vs. evil ... it's big thief vs. little thief, with the little thieves trying to steal back part of what the big thief had already stolen from them.
    I don't know if I can agree with this as it only tries to justify our actions, though we are wrong in the sense of how most of us use this service, sorry to say. Simply put, two wrongs don't make a rght. I am not here by any means to try and justify anything. As I have said before the issue at hand here is our freedom, or parts of it that we will lose due to being theives. Once again, we are to be treated as we act, and do not be surprised at what may lay around the corner.

9. File Sharing   -   #39
    I don't know if I can agree with this as it only tries to justify our actions, though we are wrong in the sense of how most of us use this service, sorry to say. Simply put, two wrongs don't make a rght. I am not here by any means to try and justify anything. As I have said before the issue at hand here is our freedom, or parts of it that we will lose due to being theives. Once again, we are to be treated as we act, and do not be surprised at what may lay around the corner.
    I understand where you're coming from but here's my take. And, while I can only speak for myself, I know others feel likewise. The axiom, "two wrongs don't make a right" implies the existence of an "authority" that will deal effectively and potently with the "first wrong." When an industry dips its hands into the pockets of John Q. Consumer, steals $400,000,000 from his wallet, and the "authority" allows the industry to keep $256,925,000 of it (not to mention keeping some of it for themselves), the effectiveness and potency of that authority comes into question in monumental proportions. And, John Q. Consumer is left asking, "What, then, will make a right?"

You are correct that "we are to be treated as we act" ... which is exactly how the music industry is being treated right now by the consumers they've chosen (and I do mean chosen) to disrespect. And civil disobedience is a time-honored tradition from Henry David Thoreau down to Martin Luther King ... and beyond ... as a means of dealing with "authority gone amok."

What lies around the corner? Who can say? But, I do have a prediction. The music industry has chosen to cross a line separating them from intimidation of client creators/providers to intimidation of their own consumer base. And, they are considering a policy of launching electronic attacks against them. Again, the industry will find themselves "treated as they act." We're on the verge of a revolution in stealth-P2P utilities, countermeasures developed by the client creators/providers who were first intimidated. And, regardless of the legality of file-sharing, sharers are also customers of anti-viral software and firewalls ... and those creators will have to increase the integrity of their protection schemes if they want to retain their market share (especially since some of these electronic attacks may be misdirected).

In short, we're seeing the beginnings of World War E ... and how or when it will ever end is anybody's guess.

10. File Sharing   -   #40
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@6 May 2003 - 00:20
    In short, we're seeing the beginnings of World War E ... and how or when it will ever end is anybody's guess.
    World War E? as in, the "electronic war".. damn, the idea makes my mouth water.. B)
    Proud member of MDS

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast