Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer turns on Monitor Doesn't

Ok so I was going to sell a computer that worked perfectly fine. I carefully moved it on the table to take pictures. After I had set it all up on ebay and paid the fees. I turned on the computer for my brother to get on to find out that the monitor stays on stand by. I've tested it on 2 working monitors and I get the same thing. I looked inside, I even took every part out and inspected it. There was nothing that looked wrong. The computer had been working for the last 6 months. I don't see how it could just die out like this. Anyone got any ideas other than buying a whole new computer?
    Systems Specs
    -----------------------------------
    O/S: Windows Xp Service Pack 2
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4
    Speed: 2.6 ghz
    Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 6800 128MB DDR SDRAM
    Ram: 1Gig of ram
    Comp Model: Hp Pavilion a250n

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    If the monitor doesn't power on, try another video card if possible. That is where the monitor gets the 5 volt signal allowing it to power up.

It's entirely possible your video card has failed. Electronics are funny that way and can fail at anytime, for no apparent reason.

(you paid a fee to post something for sale on Ebay? curious)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    There's any beep after you push the power button?
    Most probably it's the videocard but could be other things: ram making bad contact...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    HarryCarry- It costs money to put items up to ebay like 3 bucks just depending on how much you put on there.

Bodygard- Ram is completely secure. I took it out and put it back in. And no it doesn't beep anymore for some reason. It could be the graphics card, but I don't have another right now to test it. The comptuer I'm using now is AGP and the other computer is using PCI-E.

Edit: I put the ram into my other computer and it works fine so it isn't that.
    Last edited by imasoldier; 07-26-2006 at 06:53 AM.
    Systems Specs

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Remove GPU and place in another available slot... I have had to do this on my older AGP based GPUs before... Something to do with the slot assignement code gets conflicted with others and wont respond moving the card out to another slot should fix it and then both slots will work again.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Well it could be also one of this 2 things:
    Power Supply
    Short to the case

It could be the power supply. It doesn't always mean the psu is working properly, even if it seems to power up.

About short to the case, if you have the chance, take the mobo out of the case, place on antistatic bag (plug gfx card, mem, cpu, hdd, monitor) and power it up like that. If that works then there is a short to the case somewhere.
    It could be:
    1- a brass spacer is touching the end of a component on the underside of the mobo.
    2- a brass spacer in the wrong place shorting the underside of a ram slot.
    3- the head of a screw shorting 2 pins on an ic.

By moving the pc this could've happened...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Thanks Bodygard I will try this tommorow and update what happens hopefully its just a short. What if I just placed eveything on a table or just the carpet? I don't have any antistatic plastic.
    Systems Specs

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by imasoldier View Post
    Thanks Bodygard I will try this tommorow and update what happens hopefully its just a short. What if I just placed eveything on a table or just the carpet? I don't have any antistatic plastic.
    Put it on a table with some paper under for example. The ideal was a wrist strap right into the ground but as you probably don't have one, remember to touch you case from time to time while your're mounting the system and should be fine.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Yes I touch the case all the time because I don't have a wrist strap. Anyways I took everything out as you said, but there was no use it didn't work. Only thing I can think of is buying a new PSU and or GPU.
    Systems Specs

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Hi i think it is the graphics card because it happened to my friend where the computer loaded but the monitor did not. He purchased a new card and it was working perfectly.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast