Thread: Windows Xp

Well I heard many things about Xp: Clean Install or upgrade. If i do a clean install it will overwrite my existing 98 files right? So then Xp wont take up more space on my computer right? And if I backup the files I want, will I be able to use them once I install Xp, such as documents or media files? Need to know before I install, thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    A "clean" install is when you: Write zeros to drive, create a new partition, format that partition, and install the new operating system. In other words, with a clean install, there Is NOTHING on your hard drive.
    An "upgrade" is when you just install the os "on top" of the old one. There should be an option to uninstall
    the os if you don't like it. But I would back up EVERYTHING before trying the install.
    I would go with the clean install, but what do I know? I'm just another noobie
    And yes, you should be able to use all your old data, games, programs. As long as they are compatable
    with XP

Here is a link to a great tech site:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/

I have found alot of help there too.
    Only problem is you only have so many "points"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    TRshady
    Originally posted by fallenknight308@4 May 2003 - 07:08
    A "clean" install is when you: Write zeros to drive, create a new partition, format that partition, and install the new operating system. In other words, with a clean install, there Is NOTHING on your hard drive.
    An "upgrade" is when you just install the os "on top" of the old one. There should be an option to uninstall
    the os if you don't like it. But I would back up EVERYTHING before trying the install.
    I would go with the clean install, but what do I know? I'm just another noobie
    And yes, you should be able to use all your old data, games, programs. As long as they are compatable
    with XP

well thats sort of right.

A clean install of xp doesn't format or partition (though you have the option) it just overwrites the registry and windows folder so when fully installed there are no programs installed and the registry is empty.

An upgrade just updates necessary files to "make" it xp. But even though microsoft recommend it during installation dont upgrade because it can cause problems and if you have a problem now it's likely to be carried over.

So do a "clean install" and don't worry all your data will remain on your hard drive.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    you'll need to reinstall all your applications and games though, due to the fact all the registry entries (which make these work) will have been cleared

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Will it mess up my internet settings? For instance will I have to reinstall my cable modem or reinstall my cd drive? Or will they be carried on to Xp?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    You have the option of partitioning your disk during XP setup. If you install XP on an FAT32 partition, you can later convert it to NTFS with the convert.exe program.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by TRshady+3 May 2003 - 23:46--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TRshady @ 3 May 2003 - 23:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--fallenknight308@4 May 2003 - 07:08
    the os if you don&#39;t like it. But I would back up EVERYTHING before trying the install.
    I would go with the clean install, but what do I know? I&#39;m just another noobie
    with XP

well thats sort of right.

A clean install of xp doesn&#39;t format or partition (though you have the option) it just overwrites the registry and windows folder so when fully installed there are no programs installed and the registry is empty.

An upgrade just updates necessary files to "make" it xp. But even though microsoft recommend it during installation dont upgrade because it can cause problems and if you have a problem now it&#39;s likely to be carried over.

So do a "clean install" and don&#39;t worry all your data will remain on your hard drive. [/b][/quote]
    That is what I understand a "clean" install to be, a bare hd with nothing on it to start with

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty&#39;s sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain