Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Anyone Help Me?

HI! Could somebody explain to me what a 3D accelerator is , please???
    Thanks...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    A video card?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    TRshady
    Originally posted by KANADIANborn@4 May 2003 - 11:13
    A video card?
    well yeah. a "3d accelerator" is the term often used by game manufacturers and is just another word for a graphics card. The hardware which produces the graphics you see and screen and it's essential for a pc to operate.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thanks guys!!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    All modern video cards are 3D Accelerators. Believe it or not, this was not always the case. Back in the old days, if all you had was a basic 2D card, you couldn't play games with fancy 3D polygon graphics, like Quake and Unreal. That's why a lot of older games say "3D Accelerator Required". If you bought your computer/video card within the last five years, it's no longer an issue.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    your other replies are not correct. there is a difference between a graphics card and a 3d accellerator. a graphics card will process graphics for the cpu. an accellerator will not only process but has its own memory. this takes a lot off the system resources and greatly increases video performance.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    And are there any graphics cards out there that don't have a 3D Accelerator?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I bought my pc 4 years ago and it's a new game(LOrd of the Rings) that requires this thing!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Go to Control Panel and double-click on the System icon. Now click on the Device Manager tab. Click on the little plus sign [+] where it says 'Display adapters', and tell us what it says below it.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    YES There is a difference in accelerator cards and video cards. I have bought and used a dozen of them, many kinds.

I remember when the VooDoo-II, 12mb PCI video accelerator add-on card was the hot item! It worked with your existing VGA card, with a jumper cable.

At one time, I was lead to believe that an ATI 64mb video card was an accelerator card! Yeah, it did the job, but not like a real video card that does the bulk load of drawing 3D polygons on the screen.

I now have a GeForce4 MMX 440 64mb DDR memory. It is not the top video card, but sure makes playing most 3D games fun for the price. It uses the NVIDIA drivers, and a lot of 3D games are designed for NVIDIA. So if you are going to get a video accelerator, get one that at least uses the NVIDIA drivers. Even the TNT2 NVIDIA cards (the generic ones too) is good for a lot of games. The 32mb TNT2 that I had is better than that 64mb ATI Radeon 7000 that I used to use.

----------------------

I have seen the GeForce4 MMX 440 64mb DDR video cards for about $45.00 - $65.00 (USD) on the internet, e-bay, and computers shows. Not bad for starters, if you want to have a decent card but don't have the money for the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast