Thread: Cant enable DMA

My system has been going very slow. Especially when it tries to do something system-demanding. It is in PIO mode. I have DMA enabled in bios but in windows it is running under PIO. It takes me forever to burn discs and transfer files.

Anyone know how to force it to run how it is supposed to?
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    DMA is set for the Primary IDE Channel and the Secondary IDE Channel under Device Manager in Xp , have you checked there ? I seem to remember a Registry trick to enable DMA if your cd-rom supports it , I'll see if I can find it .

Found this interesting .

For repeated DMA errors. Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.

In this case, the user cannot turn on DMA for this device. The only option for the user who wants to enable DMA mode is to uninstall and reinstall the device.

Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving more than six CRC errors. Whenever possible, the operating system will step down one UDMA mode at a time (from UDMA mode 4 to UDMA mode 3, and so on).

Link : http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/IDE-DMA.mspx
    Last edited by peat moss; 08-02-2006 at 02:33 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Awesome! It worked! Thanks for your guys help.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Does that reg hack stop windows from attempting to drop back into PIO mode or just set it back to DMA until the next problem?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dedalus1 View Post
    Does that reg hack stop windows from attempting to drop back into PIO mode or just set it back to DMA until the next problem?
    Well if its the same reg hack that talked about at the bottom of this link your answer would be NO http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/dvdguide005.html

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by dedalus1 View Post
    It doesn't set DMA mode, but forces Windows to re-assess which mode to use.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008