Thread: What Happened!!!

Received a notice from my ISP-they'd received a notification by a copyright owner...saying I had downloaded an infringed work...gave the time, name of the movie, etc...and all the pertinent info regarding my IP address.

What happened? I didn't download that particular item at that particular time at all!!!

Could my machine have been highjacked while running emule? I was running PeerGuardian2 at the time as well...

Someone explain this to me, please.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    When and how did u receive a notice ?

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    This morning via an email.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Retired
    if you did not download that file ignore it. it's most likely a 'fake' e-mail not sent by your ISP.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    go to properties of the link and see if its really from the address it saids

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    n00b BT Rep: +1
    Look at the headers and use a program like smartwhois to see if its real or not.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Derge
    A few years ago I received a letter in the mail like this from my ISP. It was a cease and desist letter from a movie studio, passed to my ISP and then to me, concerning a movie I had shared on eMule. The movie studio would have sent me the letter directly, but like anyone, they have trouble connecting an IP address on a file sharing program to a name and face.

In most cases ISPs won't disclose personal information about you to copyright owners unless you're being subpoenaed. It doesn't sound like you are. Because the copyright owners don't know who you are, they can't do anything about it except ask your ISP to disconnect you, or reveal your identity, or scare you into removing the file(s?) from your shared directory like you've probably already done.

Don't respond to the copyright owners and don't respond to your ISP unless you're contacted by them again. People like you make broadband profitable for service providers, and they know it, and if they can cover your ass they will. I wouldn't worry.