Thread: Is it possible to share files between two computers over LAN?

Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    I've got two computers connected to a router and i was just wondering if its possible to transfer files between.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Sure!

- Make sure that your firewalls are setup to allow communication from the local IP of each PC.

- Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers. Be sure to use the same workgroup name.

- Right click on a folder that you wish to share and select Sharing and Security set it to share. You should then see a hand symbol under that folder icon.

You can now access that folder in My Network Places from both computers.
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 08-14-2006 at 10:15 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    one of the biggest advantages to networking computers for sure.

one tip, if for any reason the shared folder/other computer doesn't show up in the My Network Places you can do this. open IE and in the Address Bar type "\\othercomputersname" and it should then turn into an explorer window and show you any of the shared folders. thats just how i do it, cuz sometimes my network places is fussy.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    hmm... i followed your steps but it doesen't seem to work.... I set my folder to share but its not in the "my network places" folder.

WAit, it doesen't seem to show up on the 2nd computer. The folder i set it to share shows in the folder "My Network Places" but not in the 2nd one.

oops nevermind it works now, just wondering, during the network setup wizard, it said it enabled a firewall. Is that going to affect my other stuff like downloading using bittorent?
    Last edited by Monkeee; 08-15-2006 at 12:51 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeee View Post
    hmm... i followed your steps but it doesen't seem to work.... I set my folder to share but its not in the "my network places" folder.

WAit, it doesen't seem to show up on the 2nd computer. The folder i set it to share shows in the folder "My Network Places" but not in the 2nd one.

oops nevermind it works now, just wondering, during the network setup wizard, it said it enabled a firewall. Is that going to affect my other stuff like downloading using bittorent?
    It shouldn't but you can turn it off by going to control panel -> network connections -> right click connection -> properties -> advanced -> WIndows Firefox settings -> choose off

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    if its the windows firewall (i'm assuming, since what other firewall would windows be able to automatically enable?) i've seen it reccomended that it's disabled to help out torrents and whatnot, but i dunno if it would actually make a noticeable difference.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551 View Post
    if its the windows firewall (i'm assuming, since what other firewall would windows be able to automatically enable?) i've seen it reccomended that it's disabled to help out torrents and whatnot, but i dunno if it would actually make a noticeable difference.
    Actually, the firewall blocks incoming requests for data. If your tracker is blocked by the firewall it would make a major difference. The most secure setup is to leave the firewall on and just open the connections you use for bittorent. If you are on a router you should have those ports forwarded anyway.