Thread: A Question

MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Why is it so popular with the young male demographic? I remember someone here saying that it was the most popular music in the world, though I don't remember who said it. Is there an explanation?

...Before you say something's popular, remember that Zamfir has sold more albums worldwide than the Beatles...
    things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

2. Music   -   #2
    twas i who made the comment good sir
    imo, the mass appeal for rap/hip hop can't be quantified easily
    some like to listen to hip hop for the joyous beats, the upbeat sounds etc
    others like to listen to heavy underground stuff, possible because it describes their life
    i like to listen to something inbetween
    i can't pretend i identify with most of the stars born form this genre; i'm an 18 year old from scotland, who's had no real hardship in life, and his biggest complaint is that he finds uni hard.
    a lot of people know about the violence in rap, 2 high profile deaths (Chris Wallace (a.k.a. Notorious B.I.G.) and Tupac Shakur) which were due to their respective success in the game.
    i listen to rap for a release from life, to cheer me up, to make life look better
    a lot of people listen for different reasons though

edit: punctuation

3. Music   -   #3
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@5 May 2003 - 11:55
    Why is it so popular with the young male demographic? I remember someone here saying that it was the most popular music in the world, though I don't remember who said it. Is there an explanation?

...Before you say something's popular, remember that Zamfir has sold more albums worldwide than the Beatles...
    Good question.

How do you define "young" MagicNakor?

I've been buying/listening to Rap music for 20+ years now, so I wouldn't define myself as that young!! I can only say it (as a genre) struck a chord with me from day one. Don't know whether it was the lyrics or the beats that I was hearing that switched me on to it, but I'm still hooked to this day. I like the fact that you can hear old and obscure breaks in the tracks and that can send you off on a completely different "mental tangent". Sometimes I can hardly listen to a full album before getting the original break out for a spin!! The Rap does go back on though before you say "the original would be better".

I like the fact that it sometimes takes repeated listens to get the whole message/meaning of the tune. Sometimes the slang can be a bit impenetrable but it only makes it better when you work out what the fuck they are saying!!

Don't know whether this'll be much help but it may explain where a few of us are coming from.

You know who you are!!!
    Signature removed

4. Music   -   #4
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    It has nothing to do with Rap or Rock, its about music as a form of expression, and many people find this to be a harmless release. Kinda like a "happy ending" after a massage.
    Proud member of MDS

5. Music   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@5 May 2003 - 10:55

im 15 i grew up on rap. since i was well since i can rememeber. N.W.A mostly.also Dre and Snoop ALOT.it is popular cuz a white boy is famous for rapping. and now alot more white ppl are liking it.alot of white ppl were already into it. but now since a white rapper has gained respect its pretty much doubled or trippled its popularity by media biters and posers/groupies.i absoulutly despise thoses types. but there the main reason why its popularity has come so far in the last couples of years

6. Music   -   #6
    gotta say the white boy rapping aint got nothing to do with the situation.
    young black lads with chips always look at a race issue to explain a situation. its cos im black innit.

no it aint. some people are just twats.

Esssbee

7. Music   -   #7
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Meh

It has nothing to do with race...it is to do with a form of music that every race can relate to and even though i hardly listen to rap/hip-hop I believe its the genre that has formed the tightest unity...I mean i would love to see rock/metal do what wu-tang did and unite as one to make some serious kick ass music and in the end thats what it is all about...the music

8. Music   -   #8
    BANNED
    Have a look at the poll in musicworld u will see what is the most popular in this forum