Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stop windows firewall to help bittorrent

hugoharding's Avatar its changed since 02
    Ok, so its definately setting on my computer and not the router, was just chatting with one of my housemates, she says she only uses bittorrent occasionally, but gets speeds over 100kBs all the time when she does use it.

Re: peat moss
    Went to your google link, but it says to click on a tab labeled expert, but i haven't got that tab option.

H

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Are you sure its not there ? I hav'nt used ZA for years but still remember the Expert tab . Mabye its just in the Pro version .

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Everything from seed
    Hey H, here's my solution.
    I turned off security centre run>type "services.msc" without quotation marks go to security center right click and stop that service! change its startup type to disabled (restart shouldn't be necessary.) Next go into network connections, right click your internet connection select properties and go to advanced tab, click "settings" box under windows firewall and confirm that it is turned off for your connection.
    (i often found that security centre would annoyingly turn win firewall back on.)
    my next recommendation would be to rely on your router for firewall protection, most of them are up to the job and if some rogue 12 year old wannabe hacker manages to get in he's only got access to your box with your net settings on it (not very useful.)
    Next check your ISP details see if they have a fair usage policy and if they implement traffic shaping use a client like utorrent or azureus to work around this. Configure your laptop to have a static address using the routers set-up page. Finally, and I know some guys on here will want to kick my head in for this ENABLE UPNP on your router and laptop, this for me was one of the primo factors in getting good torrent speeds, I use azureus which has a upnp plug-in showing mapping of the ports. Technically yes it is a bit unsecure but provided you have a) a good anti-virus client and b) some common sense you should be fine. I did not have to port-forward using this method, and it is also easy for me to change my port number on a whim in case my ISP finds me and slows me down (when they decide its BT traffic)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12