i always loved Zelda
    That's not a RPG.

2. Games   -   #32
    Workcheese's Avatar Fruit fucker
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafo View Post
    i always loved Zelda
    That's not a RPG.
    It's an action-RPG, so I think we can allow it. Otherwise games like Diablo, Fable, Morrowind, Oblivion and Dues Ex might have to be thrown out as well.

3. Games   -   #33
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Workcheese View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

That's not a RPG.
    It's an action-RPG, so I think we can allow it. Otherwise games like Diablo, Fable, Morrowind, Oblivion and Dues Ex might have to be thrown out as well.
    maybe i'm wrong? games like diablo & dungeon siege are real time rpg's. final fantasy tactics & front mission are stradegy rpg's. i guess u could call the elder scroll games first person rpg's, but zelda is an adventure game and not a rpg.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

4. Games   -   #34
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Workcheese View Post

maybe i'm wrong? games like diablo & dungeon siege are real time rpg's. final fantasy tactics & front mission are stradegy rpg's. i guess u could call the elder scroll games first person rpg's, but zelda is an adventure game and not a rpg.
    I think you're wrong (no offence), the Zelda games have enough RPG elements to qualify them as action-RPG's. Though with Zelda you could probably argue that it is a puzzle-game, adventure game or even a platformer (I doubt you could make up a convincing argument that they are a flight-sim though...).

5. Games   -   #35
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!

People tend to make any game that has dungeons in it and/or set in a "fantasy time" an RPG.

Zelda is not an RPG.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Games   -   #36
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post

People tend to make any game that has dungeons in it and/or set in a "fantasy time" an RPG.

Zelda is not an RPG.

We know, it's an action-rpg incorporating elements of puzzle/platform/adventure games. I'd be very surprised if there is not a large number of people out there who first played this game and then got into RPG games.
    Last edited by MCHeshPants420; 09-12-2006 at 01:41 PM.

7. Games   -   #37
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHeshPants420 View Post

Zelda is not an RPG.

We know, it's an action-rpg incorporating elements of puzzle/platform/adventure games. I'd be very surprised if there is not a large number of people out there who first played this game and then got into RPG games.
    Ok since the definition has been flexerized then let's add GTA, Metal Gear, Metroid, and Castlevania to the list of RPGs.

Coowol.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Games   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHeshPants420 View Post

Ok since the definition has been flexerized then let's add GTA, Metal Gear, Metroid, and Castlevania to the list of RPGs.

Coowol.
    "Flexerized" isn't a word so I'm not sure what you mean, but you'd have to make a convincing argument for a game to be added as a subset of the RPG genus. I think you'd struggle to come up with half of a decent argument as you can for defending Zelda's action-RPG status.

Even if you can't bear to admit that Zelda is an action-RPG you'd have to admit it's a damn sight nearer the RPG line then any of the titles you've mentioned (if we ignore the fact that a couple of the Castlevania games have been RPGs).

Though the latest GTA game certainly borrows from RPG games in that your character has stats that can be improved as you practice that stat (Oblivion has pretty much the same system just more complicated).

9. Games   -   #39
    DorisInsinuate's Avatar Four Star Cynic
    Can someone explain why a game where you play the role of a character isn't a role-playing game?
    It's hot in Topeka.

10. Games   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by DorisInsinuate View Post
    Can someone explain why a game where you play the role of a character isn't a role-playing game?
    Good point, all computer games are RPGs apart from Tetris, Columns and Bejeweled.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast