Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are newsgroups

I know this is the biggest of noob questions, but what are newsgroups ? Are the downloads the same as torrents but private or something ? If there is a thread explaining this im sorry for re-asking but i cant find it

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Start with this and then ask any questions you might have...
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=69159

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    A bit like posting emils to a forum like this, really.

Newsgroups, usenet, discussion groups. These are different names for the same thing.

Imagine a noticeboard where people pin up (post) messages and anyone can read them. Other people can post a reply to these messages for everyone to read as well, or post their own separate messages for people to respond to.
    Now imagine that there are a thousand of these noticeboards in one place, each one dedicated to a different general topic - sports, shopping, depression, TV programs, anything at all - where people read others' posts and discuss them.
    Now imagine that people posting messages on these forums can attach stuff to them. Some people might attach a picture of their cat while others may like to show off their car so others can discuss them.

Newsgroups are the original internet messageboards. A precursor to web forums.
    They are held on dedicated servers all over the world which talk to each other, sending posts back and forth.
    People just used to post messages to them but just like email you can attach files. Pictures, documents, archives, executable files attached to newsgroup messages are known as binary attachments.
    With newsgroup readers it's entirely possible to post and read newsgroup messages, and to save any attachments that come along with them.
    Binary downloaders such as Newsleecher and NewsBin Pro really concentrate on the attachments.
    By subscribing (regularly looking at, no payment involved) to certain 'binary' newsgroups it's possible to see many games, utilities, applications, audio CDs, DVDs and even operating systems posted as attachments to (usually empty) messages.

There's almost completely no risk involved if you only download these 'binaries' and they download at maximum connection rate most of the time.
    You can get virtually anything you want from newsgroups, the only problem is knowing where to look and how to ask.

Blimey.
    I didn't think that would be so hard.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Hmm excellent ! explained it perfectly i understand it now. Thnx so much

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Please, let me ask you two noob questions too hehe.
    The person who post something stays anonymous? ( I mean.. the ip can be tracked?)
    Is usenet the source of a lot of scene's stuff?

Thank you...and sorry to bother you...

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Flym View Post
    Please, let me ask you two noob questions too hehe.
    The person who post something stays anonymous? ( I mean.. the ip can be tracked?)
    Is usenet the source of a lot of scene's stuff?

Thank you...and sorry to bother you...
    Yes the person posting can put anything in the email section and name section and the newsgroup provider only sees the size of what you upload not what you upload so again there is nothing to show who's upped or downloaed what.

Providers can see how many groups your subscribed to if any but not which ones can see how much you upload or download other than that they cant see anything else.

Newsgroups is by far the safest way to get anything.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by T0TAL-RECALL View Post
    Don't forget that they are the fastest way to down anything also.. I've downloaded 180GB so far this month

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Yes the person posting can put anything in the email section and name section and the newsgroup provider only sees the size of what you upload not what you upload so again there is nothing to show who's upped or downloaed what.
    Some ISPs reject posts if their domain is not part of the email address. Some require that posts are made from one of their IPs. Some require both.
    Newsgroup providers can see the size, subject and attachment names of all you post through them. Whether they choose to keep the server logs that are always created and details of your usage will appear in their policy details.
    Given this it would be folly to assume that providers don't know what you're doing.

Providers can see how many groups your subscribed to if any but not which ones can see how much you upload or download other than that they cant see anything else.

Providers and subscribers alike can read any post's full headers which will include details of the poster's newsgroup service provider and IP.
    Providers can see exactly which groups you subscribe to and what you're downloading because server logs detail which IP requested which headers/posts from whatever group. As I noted above, whether they choose to keep these details is dependant on their policy.

Of course, there are thousands of people using any given providers newsgroup services so they're not going to waste time browsing through logs to see who's doing what. If authorities forced them to hand over logs and usage details, however, they will probably comply in order to stay operative. For this reason, usenet is undoubtedly the safest place to download.

On the other hand, posting is not so safe.
    As I mentioned above, anyone downloading a post can read the headers and get the poster's IP & provider and the time of the post. With this infomation, authorities can request user details from the provider.
    Using providers offering a level of anonymity is obvioiusly important.
    All this adds up to one piece of advice: NEVER post warez to usenet using your ISP.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK View Post
    Some ISPs reject posts if their domain is not part of the email address. Some require that posts are made from one of their IPs. Some require both.
    Newsgroup providers can see the size, subject and attachment names of all you post through them. Whether they choose to keep the server logs that are always created and details of your usage will appear in their policy details.
    Given this it would be folly to assume that providers don't know what you're doing.

Providers and subscribers alike can read any post's full headers which will include details of the poster's newsgroup service provider and IP.
    Providers can see exactly which groups you subscribe to and what you're downloading because server logs detail which IP requested which headers/posts from whatever group. As I noted above, whether they choose to keep these details is dependant on their policy.

Of course, there are thousands of people using any given providers newsgroup services so they're not going to waste time browsing through logs to see who's doing what. If authorities forced them to hand over logs and usage details, however, they will probably comply in order to stay operative. For this reason, usenet is undoubtedly the safest place to download.

On the other hand, posting is not so safe.
    As I mentioned above, anyone downloading a post can read the headers and get the poster's IP & provider and the time of the post. With this infomation, authorities can request user details from the provider.
    Using providers offering a level of anonymity is obvioiusly important.
    All this adds up to one piece of advice: NEVER post warez to usenet using your ISP.
    The only see the size of headers not the headers themselves and no they dont see which groups you subscribe to because its a breach of privacy and if you read any providers TOS and FAQ you will see that.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Poster
    lots of people have been sued posting file through news group so its not safe at all. safest way to share files is doing it in a foriegn country that doesn't prosecute or share identity of uploaders like Canada and Europe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast