Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Media DRM cracked

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Wolfgang Gruener
    August 28, 2006 13:44

A user of the "Doom9" forums has posted software that claims to be able to remove the digital rights management scheme from Windows Media encoded music files. According to the post, "FairUse4WM" works with Windows Media 10 and Windows Media 11 and only with individualized DRAM files. The simple interface of the software allows users to load keys of licensed Windows Media files and deactivate their copy protection - I order to "enable fair-use rights to purchased media," according to the developer. Engadget has posted a walkthrough to show how the software works.

Will FairUse4WM cause trouble for Microsoft? Unlikely. The creation and cracking of copy protection mechanisms always has been a cat and mouse game and that won't change in the near future. Microsoft may issue a patch to disable FairUse4WM and calm down music publishers that use Windows DRM on services such as Napster and Yahoo Music. And ultimately, publishers such as Universal have mentioned in the past that they do not view DRM technologies as unbreakable copy protection, but rather as a way to make it more difficult for the masses to illegally distribute or acquire digital media. In that view, FairUse4WM should be of little concern for content owners, at least if Microsoft will come up with a patch in the next days.

Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/28/wi...a_drm_cracked/

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    DISABLED PRIVS
    great.. he couldn't wait for vista release and a few days, before telling it to the world so that microsoft makes a patch right now, official vista ain't around and there are already cracks and patches for it wow!
    anyways good job..

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    LackOfInterest's Avatar O_o BT Rep: +2
    Even if M$ patches it someone will just crack it again. Its a never ending circle

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    DISABLED PRIVS
    Quote Originally Posted by LackOfInterest View Post
    Even if M$ patches it someone will just crack it again. Its a never ending circle
    that's exactly what it's said in the post, but we can wait till vista is released, i believe microsoft is trying to keep up with hackers/crackers and not the oposite, as common people can wait to lauch they homemade stuff

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    I tryed this program before and its just a clone of some other i tryed also. It works only if you payed monthly or per track. This programs dosn't do anything, it just finds keys if you payed. DRM protected wma files can't be played in any player, don't be a noob fool. After you are a member on napster and download a song and listen to it you might think you listen to a DRM protected file. No noob, you can't listen DRM files. You get a message if you open a DRM protected file, where they ask you to pay per track, and after you payed you can listen. If you are a member of any pay site you payed fool.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    DISABLED PRIVS
    hey lime, maybe the fool are u, so before making stupid insults please behave yourself
    now read this: i never tried any drm or protected stuff like that, i just think its dumb to post a crack for any protection before microsoft even launching the product

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    hey lime, maybe the fool are u, so before making stupid insults please behave yourself
    now read this: i never tried any drm or protected stuff like that, i just think its dumb to post a crack for any protection before microsoft even launching the product
    Nobody behaves, soo why should i fool. And now hear this, i myself wanted to hack DRM and i hear way too many posts about this DRM and i can tell you nobody made it. 90 % of people don't even know the difference between DRM and any other protection. I can tell you one thing that you totaly didn't say anything logical.
    Go to http://www.payplay.fm/genre/kids-family and download what you want, every song is for free, and the protection is called DRM. No paying per month all free and if u figured out to bypass DRM protection than have all for free. Can you ?

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    I just found another News post on Engadget that trys to explain to microsoft why they shouldnt patch this hole and it make sense. I hope MS read and see the light and leave FairUse4WM alone.

An Open Letter to Microsoft - Why you shouldn't kill FairUse4WM
    Link-> http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/27/a...ll-fairuse4wm/

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Hellmonkeys's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Wow, we all knew this was coming eventaully... What a blow to the online music industry...

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    DISABLED PRIVS
    Quote Originally Posted by limesqueezer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    Nobody behaves, soo why should i fool. And now hear this, i myself wanted to hack DRM and i hear way too many posts about this DRM and i can tell you nobody made it. 90 % of people don't even know the difference between DRM and any other protection. I can tell you one thing that you totaly didn't say anything logical.
    Go to http://www.payplay.fm/genre/kids-family and download what you want, every song is for free, and the protection is called DRM. No paying per month all free and if u figured out to bypass DRM protection than have all for free. Can you ?
    man.. learn english please, i never said the bypass would work and i don't have a clue how the protection works let me give you another chance to understando myself
    i just think its dumb to post a crack for any protection before microsoft even launching the product

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast