Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What NewsHosting Logs!

So how do prolific posters / groups manage to upload all the time? Proxies?
    1)via using different credit cards(im not gonna go into the details lol) thus being able to use multiple accounts
    If one gets posting disabled or banned totally- so what? =)
    2) using Astraweb that doesnt care ATM
    Last edited by Hypatia; 04-06-2011 at 12:46 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    They can't be too strict either, otherwise no one would pay for access.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    Their maybe something to be said - If you are uber paranoid - for signing up with a company out of your own country. If you are in Europe - Giganews or UsenetServer/Newshosting maybe good choice. Also Astraweb, at least thier company, is structured in Singapore. I hope that help

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcarne View Post
    So how do prolific posters / groups manage to upload all the time? Proxies?
    Proxies would be useless, since posts can easily be tied to your account, so I don't really know.
    Proxies should work just fine, provided that one is always used when connecting to the usenet account and the person's real IP address is never exposed. (Anonymous payment can be made using a prepaid debit card or gift card)

One problem I've run into using proxies/VPNs is that some payment sites do not work, which I suspect could be due to either SSL incompatibilities or simply the IP address being blocked.

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    (Anonymous payment can be made using a prepaid debit card or gift card)
    Then it's indeed possible. I didn't consider/know you could do that.

One problem I've run into using proxies/VPNs is that some payment sites do not work, which I suspect could be due to either SSL incompatibilities or simply the IP address being blocked.
    A VPN only creates an encrypted tunnel to a remote network, and shouldn't give any trouble with HTTPS sites per se. I can't comment much on public proxies (of which there's more than one kind - CGI/PHP scripts hosted on a server, slow public HTTPs, and fast SOCKS4/5 ones), where it is likely a combination of both factors, depending on which one you use.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    newsgroupie
    Before subscription VPN services sprang up, there were SOCKS/HTTP proxy based services using a proprietary client. (HTTP-Tunnel is one of the early ones which comes to mind). These first-generation "hide-your-IP" services were very limited in what they could do. No support of HTTPS sites. No support of UDP protocol. Etc. Using them with P2P was hit-and-miss. It might have been the free version of ItsHidden VPN I was using that was drawing a blank on a HTTPS site or two, I can't remember, maybe the IP was banned. (the IP was indeed banned from Wikipedia -as was my home ISP's entire IP address range)

But back to what I was saying before. ... Newshosting (or any provider) could easily log all IP addresses used when connecting to the service -- not just the IP addresses used for posting (which is the action that gets people in trouble) and store them forever. A few years ago Ngroups/Usenet-news started listing all IP addresses connected from in their user-control panel, but they may have been logging them for years before that, for all I know. Therefore, people who might use a proxy/VPN whenever posting naughty stuff - but not when downloading- are basically just wasting their time and effort. Like they say, chain is only as good as its weakest link.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123