Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riaa

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Has anybody seen the pop-up that's supposed to begin appearing this week?
    RIAA backed ads/warnings are supposed to be seen during download/upload; target 200K ads/day, 1 million per week? (why they're doing it this way I have no clue).
    Article appeared in USA Today 5/2/03, front page, below the fold.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Have you got a pic of the ad?

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    No-
    I guess it wouldn't technically fit the definition of an ad, but it was referred to as a pop-up that would occur while a DL/UL is taking place.
    The article didn't characterize the pop-up as anything other than a warning; they were going to target Kazaa and Grokster initially and go from there.
    I haven't been active anywhere but the forum lately, so was wondering if anyone had seen these yet.
    Whoops-just re-read the article-this is supposed to begin Tuesday, 4/8.
    Quote: "The recording group will send about a million automated messages a week, starting with 200,000 Tuesday, to users of Kazaa and Grokster services."
    So I'm a day early----keep eyes open!
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    Hopefully we can just block them with a reference to 127.0.0.1 in our hosts file
    i recon a lot of ISPs might get quite shirty about a pointless million messages a week
    if this is true will they hassle us outside of Usa? i mean i don't even care about the laws here so to get hassled from over the ocean would really be lame
    but then again copyright is lame in a lotta ways
    [think of the resource we could have if libraries could scan their books into a mass DB - no more mess around with books in closed reserve]

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Thats part of it, anyway.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    i wonder if it'll get to k-lite users...

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by Akts_Mds@5 May 2003 - 19:22
    Thats part of it, anyway.
    That certainly appears the genuine article. Thanks Akts Mds.

If someone could post a full screen shot to reveal the complete message?

-Mark Twain

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    BANNED
    god there idiots as if we didnt know that already how many of us when we cough buy, or couch install a MS product actully read the terms and agreements???? i bet u 99% of people just clikc i agree ok done. and dont read a word!!! as for this copyright bullshit im scared in my boots come RIAA GET ME NOW!!!!!

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by j2k4@6 May 2003 - 03:18
    If someone could post a full screen shot to reveal the complete message?
    Sorry I don't have a better screenshot but here's the complete message:

"It appears that you are offering copyrighted music to others from your computer. Distributing or downloading copyrighted music on the Internet without permission from the copyright owner is ILLEGAL. It hurts songwriters who create and musicians who perform the music you love, and all the other people who bring you music.

When you break the law, you risk legal penalties. There is a simple way to avoid that risk: DON'T STEAL MUSIC, either by offering it to others to copy or downloading it on a 'file-sharing' system like this.

When you offer music on these systems, you are not anonymous and you can easily be identified. You also may have unlocked and exposed your computer and your private files to anyone on the Internet. Don't take these chances. Disable the share feature or uninstall your 'file-sharing' software. For more information on how, go to http://www.musicunited.net/5_takeoff.html.

This warning comes from artists, songwriters, musicians, music publishers, record labels and hundreds of thousands of people who work at creating and distributing the music you enjoy. We are unable to receive direct replies to this message. For more information about this Copyright Warning, go to www.musicunited.net."

-There you have it

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    That's even better than a screen shot; I didn't have to run for my reading specs!
    THANKS!

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast