Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone familiar with proxxon tools?

Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    I am looking at a proxxon detail sander/saw. I was wondering if anyone had any experence with this brand or even this tool. how about any of you over in europe, considering that proxxon comes from germany and has been avalable on that side of the pond longer. are they good tools? reasonably powerfull?
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Never heard of them before,usually German stuff is good quality.
    If you're buying cheap you won't get top quality,it'll probably do for light DIY.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Without commenting on the quality of their toolage, why Proxxon?

Price-wise, it's middle-of-the-pack stuff, but what about service?

I'd wait until they're a genuine presence in the U.S. before I invest in a purchase.

Having said that, I do understand the urge to be the first on your block to own a Proxxon implement of whatever type.

It's a tool-guy thing.

EDIT:

I did some checking-the stuff looks okay, but I was struck that their rotary tools only spin 20K RPM, which is, again, typical for middle-of-the-pack, spec-wise.

Any old Dremel will turn 35K, and you can buy brushes for them at Wal-Mart.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    You can buy the whole dremel at Wal-Mart, can you not?

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    You can buy the whole dremel at Wal-Mart, can you not?
    Exactly so.

My point is that, while Wal-Mart also sells Skil, they do not sell repair parts for same.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    I am looking at the detail sander due to the fact that you can remove the sanding pad and put a saw blade on, which makes an extreamly usefull flushcut saw, as well as letting you cut right into corners and only cut one side of the corner, due to the fact that the blade does not turn, rather it vibrates. it's a very useful tool, and until now the only company that made anything like it was fein tools. however, the fein detail sander costs $280, while the proxxon goes for $120. that probably means some reductions somewhere, I just want to know if the proxxon is really less than half as good.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestv View Post
    ...the fein detail sander costs $280, while the proxxon goes for $120. that probably means some reductions somewhere, I just want to know if the proxxon is really less than half as good.
    I would doubt that was the case, and if these two functions you desire are not combined in any other brand of tool, the price difference dictates your choice:

Buy the Proxxon.

-Mark Twain

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    Dewalt ftw. All my dad has..very high quality..very durable. Dont buy it from a place like home depot thou..go to a dealer. Sometimes you can get refurbished stuff for cheap.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Dewalt ftw. All my dad has..very high quality..very durable. Dont buy it from a place like home depot thou..go to a dealer. Sometimes you can get refurbished stuff for cheap.
    DeWalt is fine, but doesn't make that particular tool.

Home Depot is a dealer.

Refurbs can save some cash, but I'd steer clear of re-chargeable stuff unless you have guaranteed RMA; they try to be sneaky with chancy battery packs and chargers, which are also occasionally defective.

-Mark Twain

10. Lounge   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I love the dewalt cordless drills (18volt or 24volt).

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast