Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: windows wont start

i know i should get a diffrent os but i need help.for all you guys who dont know i have windows me and my computer frooze so i had to shut it off to restart.but when it turns on i get the screen where i have to selct safe mode or normal or step by step.but whatever i pick it does not start and it just shuts off.can someone please help me please i will def. buy a new pc in the next coming months but i dont have enough right now please help me i will make this the last problem that i will ever have with this crappy os.thanx.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I don't support Windows ME.

What are your computer specs? Maybe Windows 98SE, 2000 or even XP could work.

Linux?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    You can try it in safe mode to see if its not something thats running in background that is causing the problems, if you still have problems go to dos and make a surface scan to fix any possible bad sectors that may cause this. Than reply.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    If the computer froze while it was doing something with system files, when you shut down any system files it had held in memory were lost. I don't have enough experience with ME to be of any help but from what I've heard your best bet at this time would be to buy a new drive and reinstall on it to see if you can then recover your files from the drive that failed. Whether you choose to reinstall ME or another OS doesn't matter to the recovery (unless of course it freezes again while your trying to recover the files). You wanted another hard drive anyway right? Just be sure you remove your damaged drive so you don't accidentally format of reinstall over it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    i finally bought a new pc but i want to recover my pics on my old pc.what can i do to recover the files that i want?my new pc has windows xp..yippy!!!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    getdata

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    plug your old drive into your new computer (it's that simple if the drive is sata, if not, you have to move the jumper from master to slave), and turn it on- the computer will think you have two operating systems installed, make sure to choose the one on the c-drive. log on, go to my computer and copy over whatever you want. hell, if you want to, get the stuff off the old drive that you want, then format it and use it as a second drive.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by johnq86 View Post
    i finally bought a new pc but i want to recover my pics on my old pc.what can i do to recover the files that i want?my new pc has windows xp..yippy!!!
    What computer did you get?

Specs?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    ok when i remove the drive from my old pc,will my new pc boot it up using windows me or the new pc's windows xp.will it cause any problems with my new pc???also here are the specs for my new pc eventhough its not great its def. an improvement,Processor Brand:AMD Processor Class:Sempron Processor Processor Number:3200+ Processor Speed:1.8 GHz Bus Speed:1.6 GHz L2 Cache Size:256 KB Memory SpeedC-3200 (400MHz) Memory TechnologyDR-SDRAM Installed Memory:512 MB Memory Slots Total:4 Memory Slots Available:2 Hard Drive Capacity:120 GB Drive Controllers:SATA-150 Rotational Speed:7200 RPM Optical Drives:DVD / CD-RW Combo Drive:
    • Play a DVD-Rom at a maximum 16X Read speed
    • Create a CD-Rom at a maximum 48X Write speed
    • Create a CD-RW at a maximum 32X Rewrite speed
    • Play a CD-Rom at a maximum 48X Read speed
    Sound Support:High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable Video Chipset Brand:NVIDIA Video Chipset:GeForce 6150LE Video BusCI Video Integration:Motherboard Shared Video RAM (Max):256 MB Port Connectors:
    • 6 x USB 2.0 (2 on front, 4 on back)
    • 1 x external VGA monitor
    • 2 x PS/2 (on back)
    • 2 x Audio - Microphone/Line-in/Line-out (1 on front, 1 on back)
    • 1 x RJ-11 Modem
    • 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet LAN
    PCI Slots:3 Slots Notes:
    • 2 x PCI open
    External 3.5 Bays:1 External 5.25 Bays:2 External Bays Notes:
    • 1 x 3.5-inch open
    • 1 x 5.25-inch open
    Internal 3.5 Bays:1 Internal Bays Notes:
    • None open
    Network Support:Ethernet (10/100 Mbps) Modem Speed:56 Kbps Input Devices:Keyboard
    Wheel MouseInstalled Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition Microsoft Vista Capable:Yes Included Software:PC Security:
    • Norton Internet Security 2006: Protect your PC out of the box (includes 60 days of complimentary live updates)
    Productivity:
    • Microsoft® Works 8: Includes a word processor, spreadsheet, database and calendar
    • Intuit Quicken 2006 New User Edition: Track your home finances and investments (English only).
    • Compaq Organize: Access your files, applications and web sites from one location (English only)
    • Microsoft® Money 2006: Manage your personal finances and investments (English only).
    • MSN Encarta Standard Online: Access a complete encyclopedia, maps center, dictionary and thesaurus (1 year trial subscription included)
    Entertainment:
    • Sonic DigitalMedia Plus - featuring LightScribe Technology: Edit, burn and archive data to CDs
    • HP Photosmart Premier: Organize, edit, share and protect photos
    • RealPlayer: Find, play and organize digital programming - sports, entertainment, news and more
    In the Box:
    • Compaq keyboard
    • Compaq scroller mouse
    Chassis Style:Tower (Mini) Height:15.4 in Width:7.1 in Depth:16.3 in Weight:24.0 lbs

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    As said just tell it boot up of the drive that has xp on it, it should give you the option of choosing which one it boots from

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast