Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win xp restarts all the time problem psl help

So I have win xp pro on my computer and every time I start it It Loads windows then the Checking for errors Drive c: starts. No errors found and then a get a blue screen for half a second and comp restarts.

It does this every time.
    Can someoen help me ?
    having fun with girls - thats all about my friend

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Well sounds like some sort of drive conflict causing the crash, when you start it up hit f8 and boot into safe mode, find the option in there for the automatic restart and disable that so you can see the bsod and what is causing it. Write down all the info the blue screen gives and post it here.

that automatic restart option is in the properties for my computer > advanced tab > startup and revocery options on the bottom > uncheck the box in the window that opens, incase you didn't know that.
    Last edited by Duffman; 09-07-2006 at 02:10 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    That method of changing tha auto-restart option is no good if you can't get windows stable long enough to make the change.

When you press F8 at startup, one of the options is to disable auto-restart. Select that, then go for boot normally.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Hi
    I can't get into safe mode either. It loads the files then restarts.

Lynx there no option to disable autostart at F8 menu.

What can I do ?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Can you boot from XP cd then try and repair ?

Quote : If you are sure you have explored all other troubleshooting avenues, then proceed with the repair install.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I'm just trying to think what I would try if it was me .I have spare parts to swap out and narrow down the problem not sure if you do .
    Last edited by peat moss; 09-09-2006 at 03:33 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I boot from Cd then I choose the option Repair.
    It leads me to Ms-dos there it asks for admin Pw and then nothing happens.

What command I have to type to repair?
    Thx

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by @driano View Post
    I boot from Cd then I choose the option Repair.
    It leads me to Ms-dos there it asks for admin Pw and then nothing happens.

What command I have to type to repair?
    Thx
    At the Setup Screen press the Enter Key, you must be hitting the "R" key to enter the Recovery Console , that would ask for your Admin. Psw .

Some screen shots here :

Quote : Boot with the Windows XP CD and at the Setup Screen press the Enter Key

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repa...sting%20Setup:
    Last edited by peat moss; 09-10-2006 at 12:20 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'm surprised there isn't an option to disable automatic restart on the boot options screen, maybe that came with a service pack or isn't available on XP Home.

You need to change a setting in the registry. Obviously, you can't get to the registry the normal way, but you should be able to do it from the recovery console, which you now know how to get to.

There's a small text file here called "noautorestart.doc", you need to rename that to "noautorestart.reg", then copy it to a floppy disk.

From the recovery console you can import that file into the registry with the command "regedit a:\noautorestart.reg"

Of course, if you haven't got a floppy drive...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    @lynx that's the problem he forgots the Admin. Password me thinks . Which is why I suggested try the Recovery Install option .

I think its just me I'm not explaining it right ? Recovery Console and Repair install are two different animals .
    Last edited by peat moss; 09-10-2006 at 12:49 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    I think he knows the admin password (if there is one), but doesn't know what to do since he doesn't know the fault. Recovery console isn't of much use except for replacing files, disabling services or modifying the registry, but since that's what he needs to do here it's really a good first step.

A repair install may not be useful if it is a hardware problem, and it could be a long way round to solve what may be a minor problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast