Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Are Our Rights?

After hearing alot from people saying that people who share or download are going to get in trouble by the RIAA , or they are going to start using malicious codes to stop us.

Now as a KL user, Im wondering what's our rights aginst this??

I would assume the IM's are just a scare tactic, but wouldn't you think its just Harassment?

Post what you think.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    you have the right to remain silent, you have the right to an attorny, if you cannot afford one, one will be provided.....
    <insert signature here>

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Isn&#39;t that only if your name is Miranda

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    It&#39;s kinda like driving through a red light. Only if you get caught you&#39;re in trouble. As a citizen who made a conscious choice to commit a crime, you have no defence IF you get caught. There may very well be loopholes, but those differ from case to case...

Oh yeah and do NOT download from a public computer, as Unis and schools can usually see everything you do, and have no quarrels about expelling a student or turning them in. The same counts for ISPs, but they don&#39;t want to loose paying customers.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    does anyone know what the situation is outside of the USA?
    how come copyright holders never freaked out like this about people making copies on audio tape, everyone used to do that in the days of vinyl and car tape decks.
    also the use of VCRs to record TV shows
    is it just because they have at least some chance of catching people now because they&#39;re organising via [tracable] IPs?
    also the emphasis seems to be on music and motion pictures, like a DVD is always going to be < &#036;100US while macromedia studio MX is about &#036; 800US&#33; what is that about? aren&#39;t more expensive files more important to protect? [i think that the software companies know that they would not have experienced users for the products without pirate versions for people to learn on]

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    RIAA isnt worried bout software, they are just worried bout the money THEY are losing.
    (most of u guyz noe bout overpricing of cds so i wont get into that)
    They obviously dont like that finally we are trying to take advantage of them and they are
    doing everything to stop filesharing (i.e. they want their money back)

same thing wit MPAA

I see, in the future, many more ppl following riaa&#39;s lead (b/c they like to stir up trouble) and
    other companies will also try and stop filesharing.

WE MUST
    PERSEVERE
    lol my thoughts

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    dlingeverything wrote:

RIAA isnt worried bout software, they are just worried bout the money THEY are losing.
    They&#39;re worried about more than that. They&#39;re worried that P2P will wake people up to the fact that, since the 1950s, people have been buying whole albums but only end up liking 2 or 3 of the songs on them ... with the other 12 songs being fluff and filler. They want people to continue paying up to &#036;20 for 2 or 3 decent songs. They don&#39;t want people to get used to the idea of downloading 14 or 15 decent songs and burning their own compilations to CDs. Money is nice, but market control is better.

If you went to a grocery store to buy two apples and the grocer said, "Sorry, you can&#39;t buy two apples unless you also buy a dozen lemons," you&#39;d think the grocer was nuts. But the music industry wants you to think of this style of marketing as normal. Until P2P came around, people did.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by Ardor@6 May 2003 - 21:01
    It&#39;s kinda like driving through a red light. Only if you get caught you&#39;re in trouble. As a citizen who made a conscious choice to commit a crime, you have no defence IF you get caught. There may very well be loopholes, but those differ from case to case...
    In the grand scheme of things, you are guilty until you are proven innocent. There is no conclusive proof that filesharing is the single reason for the decline in music sales. However, they want you to believe that you are exploiting their rights to earn a profit. The truth be known, their product in inferior. In the end, the true winners will be the artists who continue to tour and play, after all, that&#39;s what we pay them for.
    Proud member of MDS

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    There is no conclusive proof that filesharing is the single reason for the decline in music sales.
    Correct. A 6% unemployment rate might be the biggest reason. Still, I think people who&#39;d previously bought into the industry&#39;s "album concept" are finally saying ... "No, I&#39;ll be damned if I&#39;m going to pay &#036;15.99 (or more) for this CD when I only like 2 of the songs on it." It&#39;s a chicken/egg question. Is the decline in CD sales due to P2P? Or, is it perhaps that the industry banks on the 2/12 hit-to-lemon ratio ... and that P2P is merely the "messenger" ... opening the eyes of music consumers to the ratio ripoff ... and making the industry itself responsible for the decline in CD sales?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    BANNED
    I think the whole thigns bullshit about these copyright laws it isnt illegal sharing files it is ilegal to steal but not to share&#33;&#33;&#33;. what if i lent my cd to someone to listen to???? techniclly that is sharing isnt it???? same thing RIAA dont try to stop that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast