Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting baby to sleep?

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    We moved alot this past year and mainly stayed in one room places etc so baby sleeping technique was simply to cozy him to sleep.
    He is now one year old. He finally has his own room.

His mom is now abroad for ten days so i decided to try the other technique.
    Normally she would lie next to him and lullaby him to sleep, but i can't handle the duration it sometimes takes 2 hours and gets really annoying when he gets up.

I heard from other people that one should bath him, put him to bed cozy for a bit then leave, he begins to cry, then dont go back for 5 minutes, calm him down, no picking up, then leave - he cries again - then come back after ten minutes etc etc.

Have any of you done this technique?
    They say it takes about a week... I am on the third day and it is driving me nuts and seems very unfair to the child (plus my neighbours are giving me evil looks).

I read on the web that there 2 idealogies - the cozy method or cry it out method - both have advantages and disadvantages.

Why go through all o dat? Just to put the baby to bed after a warm bath.

....and for god's sake when the child gets walking age, don't let him sleep with you. It'll be hell getting him outta that habit.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    how many kidz you gut Busy?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    wan

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    wan
    Does that mean they are spread around all over the place?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

wan
    Does that mean they are spread around all over the place?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    @DanB Colic is supposedly hell compared to what i am going through

@Barbarossa - yes i have been concidering a cd of his fav chill tunes - will make a recording of mom when she gets back, night light is sort of not necessary in Norway.. but soon

@Agrajag - I wonder what would happen if you did just let the kid play as long as he wanted, when they are smaller they simply fall asleep in your arms wherever.

May i also ask, whether the afternoon sleeping time should be treated the same way (if he is home that is).
    I find the afternoon 10/11am sleep easier because he normally is really tired and gives in easier. It ius super easy in the trolly cause he just passes out.
    Except for today where I didn't realize that he had to take a dump and he preffers to do it standing up and i kept putting him down
    It took 2 hours

I don't understand why it took women so long for their revolution. I am ready to revolt after one day.

When they're very small, and they get tired, they just fall asleep because their brains sort of close down. When they get a bit bigger (about 6 months), it doesn't do that anymore, so they have to learn how to get themselves to sleep. That's when they start needing Comforters, such as a blankie or a dummy or a teddy-bear.

Or in your case, your wife

It's unfortunate that this time also quite often coincides with teething, which can stop them sleeping, and also something called Separation Anxiety, which is when they first realise that they are an individual, and not attached to mum. That's when they need reassurance that when you leave the room you are going to come back. Playing "peekaboo" helps with this

The books I've read say that you should do the daytime nap routine in a similar way to the night routine. However, we have trouble with the afternoon nap also. Sometimes taking her for a walk or a drive in the car sends her off instead.

Our evening routine is tea at about 5:30, then a bit of playtime, then bath at about 7:00, then read her a book, then bottle, then bed.

The bath, which is supposed to calm babies down, actually has the opposite effect on her for some reason

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    It used to really get to me when my little bro's had colic and when they would cry for hours with the little tears rolling down their faces
    Our nextdoor neighbour's baby boy had really bad colic. He was constantly screaming for about 4 months

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Did did this research thing a while back.

Children who get comforted when they cry, cry less in the long term than children who are left to cry.

Also, they turn out to be more confident adults.

But.. let me come back to you all next year when I have a baby

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky View Post
    Did did this research thing a while back.

Children who get comforted when they cry, cry less in the long term than children who are left to cry.

Also, they turn out to be more confident adults.

But.. let me come back to you all next year when I have a baby
    Yeah I saw a doohicky on TV awhiles back where children that were not held much didn't develop certain pathways in their brain and turned out to criminals or had slow development. My recollection is sketchy.

I think there has to be a line drawn though in how often you come back...and keeping coming back. At some point the child cries...just cos loike. It could even be that the child is spoiled for such attention in the very beginning and the parents feels they must keep it up.

For instance (on a side note) when you let a child sleep with you at an early age, they will want to do it at a later age and can lose their minds when they have to sleep alone. Sometimes children seem to want to crawl back up in the womb.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    If you drop everything and come running every time a baby cries, then pretty soon they are going to cry for attention, because they know that's how they'll get it.

When they're very young, less than 6 months, you shouldn't just let them cry, always comfort them, but after about 6 months, you should leave them 5 minutes or so to see if they can settle themselves, and only after that, try comforting them, and then use the "controlled crying" technique (where you go back to them at ever increasing intervals) to give them the opportunity to settle themselves down, but also to reassure them that you're still there for them if they can't.

Eventually, you can tell when they are really in distress and need attention, or when they are just trying it on, to see if they can get their own way.

But I've definitely heard that the more cuddling and holding you have with them for the first 6 months of their life, the better balanced they're supposed to be as individuals, and also paradoxically the more confident and self-assured they will be.

After 6 months though you have to be a bit more wary, because they start trying to manipulate you

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast