Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting baby to sleep?

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post
    For instance (on a side note) when you let a child sleep with you at an early age, they will want to do it at a later age and can lose their minds when they have to sleep alone. Sometimes children seem to want to crawl back up in the womb.
    There was a program on that just last week. It was about communal sleeping, a family bed.
    one family had 5 children. They all started to sleep in the same bed from the start. But then as they got older (4+ years) the children decided to move to their own beds on their own accord.
    The Psychologists shown in the show seemed to support this as the natural foundation of human upbringing and suggested that the way we do things in modern civilizations is counter to what would be, by nature, "instinct".
    If we still lived in caves or we didn't have houses with separate rooms (as used to be the case for all but the very wealthy) we would all be sleeping together.
    At the beginning of the program I viewed the families as being a bit odd but I have to say they did put a very compelling case forward. They made a lot of sense even though I wouldn't do it myself if I got my time over again.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    For instance (on a side note) when you let a child sleep with you at an early age, they will want to do it at a later age and can lose their minds when they have to sleep alone. Sometimes children seem to want to crawl back up in the womb.
    There was a program on that just last week. It was about communal sleeping, a family bed.
    one family had 5 children. They all started to sleep in the same bed from the start. But then as they got older (4+ years) the children decided to move to their own beds on their own accord.
    The Psychologists shown in the show seemed to support this as the natural foundation of human upbringing and suggested that the way we do things in modern civilizations is counter to what would be, by nature, "instinct".
    If we still lived in caves or we didn't have houses with separate rooms (as used to be the case for all but the very wealthy) we would all be sleeping together.
    At the beginning of the program I viewed the families as being a bit odd but I have to say they did put a very compelling case forward. They made a lot of sense even though I wouldn't do it myself if I got my time over again.
    Yeah it all makes sense nature wise. I mean calf and cubs are stuck under their mothers for awhile. However, the fact that humans have fetishes, psychology, and peer pressure (among other things) makes us way different from animals.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    These are probably the same pyschologists who think babies should breastfed for 7 years or more

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    To be honest, I slept in the same bed as my dad until I was about 7 and then moved to my mum's bed until I was about 12, only then I decided to move into my own room despite the fact it had been there all along.

I kinda wish they'd made me sleep on my own sooner because I still can't sleep properly when I'm on my own and I feel uncomfortable on my own in the dark

I kinda got over it as I got older but if, for some reason, there is no one else in the house, I sleep in the living room with the TV on so I don't wake up to silence. It completely freaks me out.

I want my mummy

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky View Post
    To be honest, I slept in the same bed as my dad until I was about 7 and then moved to my mum's bed until I was about 12, only then I decided to move into my own room despite the fact it had been there all along.

I kinda wish they'd made me sleep on my own sooner because I still can't sleep properly when I'm on my own and I feel uncomfortable on my own in the dark

I kinda got over it as I got older but if, for some reason, there is no one else in the house, I sleep in the living room with the TV on so I don't wake up to silence. It completely freaks me out.

I want my mummy

I slept alone when I was very young. Now I can fall asleep with the TV on in the basement with no cover on and wake up to pitch blackness in the middle of the night (TV timered off) and go right back to sleep. This is with all those fuckknuckling bugs that somehow make their way in my house.

"The bugs crawl in, the bugs crawl out, the bugs play fuckknuckle all over your snoooouuuuut."

As an aside, I can also go to sleep all types of ruckus going on. That's in part cos I'm a musician and part cos of all those party's and card games my parents had in the 70's that I had to sleep through.

Once my pops told me to go to bed. A minute later my mother told me to get up and brush my teeth. Pops saw me up and tore me up. Parental infighting ensued (mom trying to protect me). Pops was quite harsh sometimes.

I'm a little bit tipsy right now.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 09-09-2006 at 02:37 AM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    I quite like the fact that everyone has taken 'fuckknuckle' into their vocabulary

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky View Post
    I quite like the fact that everyone has taken 'fuckknuckle' into their vocabulary
    It's quite funny.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Luigi is doing better now, it takes normaly only one 7min session to pass out, i come in calm him for about five mintues and he passes out.
    However
    i have noticed that when i give him milk before going to bed, he sucks on it like there is no tomorrow, out of desparation even though he ate alot before.
    He the consequently throws everything up....(great...) so i merely give him a little bit for that cliche milk bed thing, but actually find it pointless.

As for bathing him beforehand, it does wake him up...

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    When mine were younger I always picked them up when they cried , sat on a rocking chair or just put him in a car seat and went for a drive .

Sometimes just rubbing their back and singing a silly song works wonders . As for sleeping in a communal bed it never bothered us ,my youngest still crawls in after a bad dream . Plays havoc with the old love life tho .

First thing you do is throw away the Baby book and just trust your instincts ,I can't count the times I had to run off to the store at 12:00 pm to get another soother as we lost it .
    Last edited by peat moss; 09-09-2006 at 03:19 PM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    First thing you do is throw away the Baby book and just trust your instincts ,I can't count the times I had to run off to the store at 12:00 pm to get another soother as we lost it .
    You ran to the store in the middle of the day? You're crazy!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast