Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: the general fecking public

Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    The way I see it, if you need to be told, it ain't art.
    http://www.dispatch.co.za/2003/05/21/foreign/KILLED.HTM

Goldfish in blenders, on show at Trapholt Art Museum in Kolding, Denmark, was created by Chilean-born Danish artist Marco Evaristi. Visitors to the exhibit activated the blenders which killed the fish. Peter Meyer, the museum director, was charged with animal cruelty, but was acquitted on the grounds the fish were killed "instantly and humanely". (AP)

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/STYLE/a....ap/index.html
    Notice that the fish in the far right blender on the cnn page has infact been turned into fish soup.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

2. Lounge   -   #32
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestv View Post
    http://www.dispatch.co.za/2003/05/21/foreign/KILLED.HTM

Goldfish in blenders, on show at Trapholt Art Museum in Kolding, Denmark, was created by Chilean-born Danish artist Marco Evaristi. Visitors to the exhibit activated the blenders which killed the fish. Peter Meyer, the museum director, was charged with animal cruelty, but was acquitted on the grounds the fish were killed "instantly and humanely". (AP)

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/STYLE/a....ap/index.html
    Notice that the fish in the far right blender on the cnn page has infact been turned into fish soup.

Aye, and if you asked the artist, he would probably tell you the blender signifies the U.S., and the goldfish embodies the mid-east/Africa/any other 3rd-world country.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Lounge   -   #33
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Aye, and if you asked the artist, he would probably tell you the blender signifies the U.S., and the goldfish embodies the mid-east/Africa/any other 3rd-world country.
    You may, even if slightly paranoid, have a point there.

Although I wonder what significance is held with "the goldfish embodies the mid-east/Africa/any other 3rd-world" when an American in raising it makes an error in calling that fish a goldfish

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Why was the blender even plugged in?
    If it wasn't then the art must have been moved so it wasn't guarded too well...

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Why was the blender even plugged in?
    If it wasn't then the art must have been moved so it wasn't guarded too well...
    they were plugged in and people were invited to run them. at the stuff I have read about it says that at least one person turned some of them on, killing at least two fish. they got off on the charges of animal cruelty because witnesses that saw the fish get pureed said that the fish died quickly, and weren't tortured.

Look at the circled blender on the right of the picture- Fish Soup anyone?
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Retired
    Here's one from my days selling auto parts.

One Saturday, a nice-looking lady came through the door with a look of trepidation on her face...there was a bit of a lull in customer traffic, so I stepped out from behind the counter to ask if I could be of assistance.

She told me her husband's birthday was looming, and, as he was a fairly accomplished hobbyist mechanic/handyman, she wanted to get him some sort of nice toolage, but he already had so many implements she wanted to see for herself what we had on display.

I walked her up and down the aisles, showing her this and that, with an eye toward certain esoterica which would not ordinarily be owned by your average spanner-spinner, and soon enough, her head began to spin-she told me she might better consult with her son as to what might be appropriate, and to insure she didn't mistakenly purchase something he already had; she told me she would go home, talk to her son and call me within the hour.

Sure enough, about an hour later she called, relating that she'd been in our store a short time ago, shopping for her husband's birthday.

I told her I had waited on her, and told her I was ready to help her further; she replied, "No, it wasn't you."

I asked her to describe the fellow she had spoken to, and was told, "It was a big guy...the biggest guy behind the counter."

I told her she had the right guy, I was indeed the biggest guy in the store, and even described her (to her) to establish my bone fides.

She replied, "No, it wasn't you, I'm quite sure."

Sensing an impasse, I decided to default to merely offering my help anew, to which she said, "But the man I talked to knows what he showed me...I'll just have to come down there again."

I hung up, wondering what would happen next.

About a half-hour later, the door opens, and here she comes.

She marches straight up to me, and says "My God, I just called here and had the strangest conversation..."

I wasn't about to tell her I'd just had one myself.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    CrabGirl's Avatar Sexpest
    I had a bad day yesterday in terms of nasty/stupid customers. This one woman in particuar rings in and gives me ten tons of shite because we'd apparently shipped her wine to a storage facility instead of to her house. I apologised and told her I'd remove it and ship it to her straight away.

Thus began a lenghty and confusing conversation about whether it was the right wine, Cremant de loire rose, her telling me that she wanted a "Loire valley sparking rose". I assured her that the case was the same as other cases she had previously bought and that it was the same wine, but she was loath to believe me.

I advised her I'd waive the carriage fee for her, seeing as we'd mistakenly put the case into storage but it would still take about 10 days because cases coming out of storage just do. She hit the roof and told me she wanted it sooner. I spent ages talking to the storage facility trying to get it delivered quicker, and eventually succeeded.

So, all done and dusted, customer has her wine coming to her."Great", I think. "She'll be off the phone soon", but no, she wants to order some more wine while she's at it. Another case of the Cremant de loire rose, coz she likes it. I say "Ok that's fine, that one will be with you in about four working days as is subject to normal delivery", thinking she'll be pleased to get it so quick.

"Oh no, " she says. "I want that one put into storage"

NNnnnnngggggyyyyaaaaaaaaa!
    This pump dispenses gasoline, a fossil fuel. People who believe fossils are not real should put something else in their tanks.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Whether or not such art has mass appeal pales alongside it's legitimacy, and the funding for which is the result of greater due diligence on the part of those responsible for it's commission.
    Privately funded art hanging in a public space I find more legitimate in any case, and will be generally more recognizable as genuine "art"; that is to say that it's qualities as art will be more readily discernable to those who view it...all this owing to the greater responsibility felt by the patrons who contract for such pieces.

They know art, and know good art is worth their patronage.

Publically-funded art is another bucket of slop altogether, and much more of a needle-in-a-haystack proposition.
    Thanks for the explanation, and must agree with you but the reason why publically funded art is sloppy is because the "jurors" who choose the piece are a "slop" put together of everything and generally aim to please the masses hence nothing of interest will come out of it other than a coca cola commercial + santa

Quote Originally Posted by j0hn View Post
    The way I see it, if you need to be told, it ain't art.
    couldnt agree more.
    that definition should be used in the dictionary somewhere.
    What you said is Art.
    (cause i told you)

9. Lounge   -   #39
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    When I used to work at the bay:

Customer: Excuse me, do you know where the socks are in this department?
    Me: ... umm right there, just behind you...and all around you
    (we were standing in the socks/underwear section)

Customer: Hi there, could you tell me how much this is please?
    Me: $18.00 dollars
    Customer: Oh, but it says its 17.99 (no joke, it was an old asian lady)

That's all I can think of

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad View Post

Customer: Hi there, could you tell me how much this is please?
    Me: $18.00 dollars
    Customer: Oh, but it says its 17.99 (no joke, it was an old asian lady)
    Do you lot do the same as the merkins, and whack on a load of tax on top of the price on the ticket, at the till?

Cos that really pisses me off

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast