Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1979 Corvette w/ a 350, suggestions?

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBank_Hank View Post
    I also forgot to mention what a piece of shit this thing is to work on. You won’t be able to perform any routine maintenance on the car because it’s just too difficult. The only thing that you’ll be able to do is put gas in it, which you’ll be doing often. Any of the other work that will need to be done will have to be taken to a well qualified automotive technician like myself.
    \

Fill me in, I have never actually worked on a vette before , and ya I checked it out today, not worth it, loads of problems with it, the fucking electrical system in that car is a mess, no headlights (even tho they're new), what the hell is a radio, and the speedometer doesnt even work

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad View Post

what the hell is a radio, and the speedometer doesnt even work
    just tell people that you got the "radio delete" option for high perfomance, and you broke the speedometer from going to fast. you just gotta put a positive spin on things you see...
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad View Post

what the hell is a radio, and the speedometer doesnt even work
    just tell people that you got the "radio delete" option for high perfomance, and you broke the speedometer from going to fast. you just gotta put a positive spin on things you see...
    love your optimism

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestv View Post
    I also forgot to mention what a piece of shit this thing is to work on. You won’t be able to perform any routine maintenance on the car because it’s just too difficult. The only thing that you’ll be able to do is put gas in it, which you’ll be doing often. Any of the other work that will need to be done will have to be taken to a well qualified automotive technician like myself.
    what makes it so difficult? I've never had the pleasure of turning wrenches on a corvette, so I wouldn't know.
    Ultra-tight fits, lots of special toolage, fiberglas doesn't rust, but causes other one-off concerns with electrical stuff and radio interference.

Independent rear works great until it breaks (which it inevitably will), and then will be a pain forever.

All of this alongside the fact the car is a performance pig; absolutely the worst.

Power-to-weight ratio compares poorly to a bicycle.

Any decent six-banger could rip the paint-job off it.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    The car is more than likely a piece of junk if he’s willing to sell it for that price. It probably needs a shit load of work, which is going to cost a fortune and that’s probably the reason they’re getting rid of it.
    A piece of junk when it was new, then likely abused to the point of no return.

Where you been, Hank?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123