Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Edonkey2000 Network is No Longer Available

I tried to run Edonkey2000 this morning and got this message...

"The Edonkey2000 Network is no longer available. Please see eDonkey.com for more details".

I went there and there was certainly no information about it at all.

In addition when trying to run edonkey 2000 I was presented with an unusaual window that says 'This will uninstall Edonkey', and sure enough it does.

I went to their site as directed and saw that NO link to their 'paid for' version was found at edonkey.com/downloads.php

Clicking the free version link (which is available according to them) takes me to a 'page not found' error.

I clicked to read their forums but that page just hung.

I haven't found any news about this on the Internet as yet. Has Edonkey expired or been shut down?
    Last edited by RealitY; 09-13-2006 at 03:21 AM. Reason: adding more info

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Strange at the least with the broken links.
    Suggest you install eMule for now...

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    That's strange
    My Overnet 0.52 is still downloading strong
    It uses the same network.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    The strangest part is how, upon opening up Edonkey, I got the 'network unavailable' message and then an option to uninstall the software, with no alternative options available to do anything but that. Then upon visiting their site, I found most of it not working and no links showing to get the paid for version of their software, just a blank space where it used to be, and even more strange, despite being told to view www.edonkey.com for more information as to why this was happening, there was no information there at all!!! My virus checker and security monitoring software has found no problem with my machine, nor any record of the Edonkey2000 program being altered or fiddled with in any way

Anyway, aside from all that, I am extremely grateful to the poster who recommended I should use E-Mule instead. Having learned the basics on Edonkey 2000, I found E-mule to be far more technical, but not completely difficult. Within an hour I am a converted user. E-mule is much better for me and I am enlightened. Many thanks. This forum is very much appreciated.
    Last edited by roosterama; 09-12-2006 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Spelling gaffs and tidying up

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    so a simple workaround would be to add an entry into your HOSTS file:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1 home.edonkey2000.com
    but why bother
    http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/edonkey-...ght-39536.html

RIP eDonkey2000
    Long Live eMule
    Last edited by Vargas; 09-13-2006 at 04:25 AM.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Once you're redirected to the eDonkey site, click on the 'Forum' link and you'll see the following message:

The eDonkey2000 Network is no longer available.
    If you steal music or movies, you are breaking the law.

Courts around the world -- including the United States Supreme Court --
    have ruled that businesses and individuals can be prosecuted for illegal
    downloading.

You are not anonymous when you illegally download copyrighted material.

Your IP address is <IP address here> and has been logged.

Respect the music, download legally.

Goodbye Everyone.

Were they raided?

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    lol, just shows how these guys lie, the ed2k network can never be shut down,

respect the music, share like hell

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    Firm behind eDonkey to pay $30 million to avoid piracy claims

ALEX VEIGA
    Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - The firm behind popular online file-sharing software eDonkey has agreed to pay $30 million to avoid potential copyright infringement lawsuits from the recording industry, according to court documents filed Tuesday.

New York-based MetaMachine Inc. was one of seven technology firms to receive letters from the recording industry last fall warning them to shut down or prepare to face lawsuits.

Since then, the operators of BearShare, i2Hub, WinMX, and Grokster have reached similar agreements.

"With this new settlement, another domino falls, and we have further strengthened the footing of the legal marketplace," Mitch Bainwol, chairman and chief executive of the Recording Industry Association of America, said in a statement.

Under terms of the latest agreement, MetaMachine and its top executives, Sam Yagan and Jed McCaleb, agreed to immediately cease distributing eDonkey, eDonkey 2000, Overnet and other software versions.

The company also agreed to take measures to prevent file-sharing by people using previously downloaded versions of the eDonkey software.

A federal judge must still give final approval to the terms of the settlement.

A call to eDonkey CEO Sam Yagan was not immediately returned.

The eDonkey Web site on Tuesday featured a message from the company telling visitors that the eDonkey2000 Network was no longer available, and a warning that people who steal music or movies are breaking the law.

The message concluded with "Goodbye Everyone."

Several file-sharing services have yet to reach settlements with the recording industry, including Warez P2P, Limewire and Soulseek.

In August, the recording companies filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against the firm behind LimeWire. That case is pending.
    article

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    One workaround to get edonkey working is to block all the edonkey websites using your HOSTS file. Another one is to install and start edonkey while you are disconnected from the internet. Then after edonkey is running, reconnect to the internet.

Or you edonkey users can just switch to emule. It connects to the same network plus it has its KAD network and protocall encryption. And, it can resume your unfinished edonkey downloads..
    blah blah blah... whatever...

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    eMule is the next stop...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast