Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Im getting a new comp and i need some help

Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    Instead of getting 3gb of memory, get the 2gb and spend that 100$ you saved on a better video card.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    Code:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001228
    Is this the same monitor? lets see $260 vs $196 with free shipping, Duh! Unless you have to buy from them so they will build it for you, I think you could save alot of money shopping somewhere else, especially for something like a monitor which doesn't need to be built.
    Don't forget the original price is in CDN$
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    For us (users) it's always better to build our own pc. It's cheaper and we learn something
    3GB it's not worth i think...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    The 3GB of RAM bothers me.
    Depending on how you populate the second gig- is it one more gig stick or two 512s?- you may actually lose performance. I admit I'm not familiar with the new Intel's memory handling capabilities but such a setup would be bad with an AMD.
    I currently run 2x1GB and even in Vista rarely exceed 40% RAM usage.

The Antec NeoHE 550 would be a better choice for the PSU.

DX10 vid cards are just around the corner...it might be worth holding off for a month or so to see what they are like as Vista will require them anyway.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    ok i changed it to 2gb of ram (2 sticks) and i changed power supply to enermax. Im going to get the cheapest card so i can buy the newer cards(DX 10) when they come out for x-mas. By the way the prices are in canadian dollars.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Don't wait for dx10 cards, u don't need to. THey won't even produce games to need to use it for a while, especially if u plan to stay with xp for a little while longer. Just get a midrange dx9 card right now imo. Stay with 2 gigs of mem also... 3 won't even impact performance most likely and u can save the extra money for the vid card like Smith said.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Btw good choice in parts. I'm getting a 6600 (can be oc'ed to x6800 spec and has the 4meg cache) myself soon (can't wait for the fucking rd600 board anymore). I would suggest an improvement in the video card and a widescreen monitor possibly.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gam3Guy View Post
    Don't wait for dx10 cards, u don't need to. THey won't even produce games to need to use it for a while, especially if u plan to stay with xp for a little while longer. Just get a midrange dx9 card right now imo. Stay with 2 gigs of mem also... 3 won't even impact performance most likely and u can save the extra money for the vid card like Smith said.
    The upcoming game Crysis is expected to utilise Dx10 and just about the latest technology including Dual core processor.
    Last edited by Formula1; 09-14-2006 at 10:49 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    DX10 vid cards are just around the corner...Vista will require them anyway.
    Sorry, that's wrong, it's the other way round.

DX10 will require Vista, but Vista will run quite happily with earlier cards, as it is at the moment with beta releases.

However, I can't see the gfx card manufacturers requiring everyone to upgrade to Vista in order to run their new cards properly, it would be financial suicide. DX10 will be made available for XP.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    So jealous.

Replace GS with GT.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast