Thread: uTorrent speeds

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I've just switched computers and now my download speeds are drastically lower than before with the new PC.

On the old PC, I would download all my TV shows from SuperTorrents and always had speeds around 500+kb/s, but now it's always around 200-300kb/s.

WTF?

Same internet connection
    Same trackers
    Same client and version

Would it have anything to do with uTorrent asking me what my internet speed is in the setup process? I chose 1 mb/s
    Last edited by Skizo; 09-13-2006 at 06:54 AM.

yo

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    The speed of your line is 1MB/sec or you just choose that?
    Most probably, the fact that you choose that, other settings change automatically. The best is to setup manually. Go to the forums in µtorrent page and search for a thread in wich a user gives detailled info on how to setup µtor

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    j0hn's Avatar leet poster BT Rep: +1
    take settings.dat from ur old computer, and use it with utorrent on ur new computer.
    that way u know u have 100% the same settings, and theres nothing u have changed thats causing the slowdown.
    settings.dat can be found...
    C:\Documents and Settings\windowsusername\Application Data\uTorrent

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hn View Post
    take settings.dat from ur old computer, and use it with utorrent on ur new computer.
    that way u know u have 100% the same settings, and theres nothing u have changed thats causing the slowdown.
    settings.dat can be found...
    C:\Documents and Settings\windowsusername\Application Data\uTorrent
    I have been setting up that computer for a friend that I'm giving it to, and I'm pretty sure I uninstalled uTorrent. I will have to plug in a monitor though and see if the files are still there.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeDoom
    The speed of your line is 1MB/sec or you just choose that?
    Most probably, the fact that you choose that, other settings change automatically. The best is to setup manually. Go to the forums in µtorrent page and search for a thread in wich a user gives detailled info on how to setup µtor
    Here are the tests results from the speed test that uTorrents links to. Perhaps I should select 512 kb/s?

yo

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Your better off setting it for a higher setting if your not sure. Better to have it set too high then to have it set too low. Also another thing you could check is the processor speeds, ram, and hd speeds. Also if the hd needs defragging. Those also play a slight part in the speeds you get as well sometimes.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Here are the tests results from the speed test that uTorrents links to. Perhaps I should select 512 kb/s?

If you have this speed, then you can set to 4 or 5Mbit/s in utorrent.
    Set the upload to 40KB/s or less when your downloading. When your're only uploading, set it to 45KB/s.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I set my speed to 10mb/s and zoom!, I'm off to fast downloads again.

Downloading 'Weeds' right now at a consistent 600+ kb/s.

edit: 6 minutes for entire show.

yo

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    See was just a speed setting. Glad you got it working fine now.