Thread: Experienced coders Please read!

I'm not asking you to hack anything for me.

Here is my question. You go to a website that sends information into a folder into your computer; The website sends 2 .exe files that always makes it's name random not only that it may split up and one go into Folder1 and the other go into Folder2 or they both go into Folder1 and 2. Only one of the files is the correct one. What could you use to find out which is the true one and how could you make it so that it could rename itself into a proper name and be placed into a folder I choose.

This feels like a riddle but I would like to see if anyone could figure this out. If you need more information or possibly a better explanation just ask. Thanks for even reading this. I'd appreciate it if you take a look into this.

Edit: I'm sorry I put this into the wrong thread if a mod could please move it to Internet and programming section thank you.
    Last edited by imasoldier; 09-13-2006 at 03:38 PM.
    Systems Specs
    -----------------------------------
    O/S: Windows Xp Service Pack 2
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4
    Speed: 2.6 ghz
    Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 6800 128MB DDR SDRAM
    Ram: 1Gig of ram
    Comp Model: Hp Pavilion a250n

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    What kinda program we talking about here? A trojan or a adware file or something? Never seen a file do or even attempt to do this.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    It's not a trojan or a virus or any type of adware, it's nothing that could harm ones computer. I'd just like to know if anyone could figure out which is the right .exe I'm just using .exe as an example it could be anything. Maybe using a debuger to figure it out?
    Systems Specs

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    You can use a hex editor to look inside the files for clues (e.g. text strings or junk data), but you have to tell us what you're looking for if you want more info than that. Sounds feckin weird to me

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I'm not sure but I don't think a hex editor will work. Lets just say it was a basic text document well two of them. One has The number 1 in it which is the correct one and the other has number 2 in it which is the wrong one. When viewing the website it sends both text documents at the same time only one time, unless you refresh. It sends one to Folder A and or Folder B, visa versa. It's random through the web server. The idea is trying to figure out which one is the right one without looking in it and able to have it renamed and sent to a folder of choice.
    Systems Specs

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    david02's Avatar only human BT Rep: +1
    Huh? I am not getting it.

How will you EVER know what is in the package when not looking in it? If you want to check if it says 1 or 2, you or a program are BOUND to look in it. Imho,or am I missing something?
    ''God is dead.'' - Nietche
    ''Nietche is dead!'' -God

graffiti

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Open it with notepad and read it. Than decide if another program is neccessary to make more sense of it.

But I have to agree with the others, something is missing. You either don't understand what in the hell you're talking about or are trying to hide something.

Take a moment after reading this before replying. Measure your words carefully, otherwise no one will be able to offer the proper advice/direction to take.