Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: good ol' popey..

Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    I think I basically agree with you. It would be nice to see radical clerics condemning the violence, but that seems unlikely.

Throughout this thread people are asking "where is the condemnation from the moderate Muslims"? That was the point I was addressing, and I was merely pointing them to where I've seen it just today.

edit: @ Sextent

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    6 years ago, the muslim world was none existent in your feable minds.
    6 years ago, you probably wouldn't have used the word "feable".

In six more years, perhaps you'll have learned to spell it correctly.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillian View Post
    I think I basically agree with you. It would be nice to see radical clerics condemning the violence, but that seems unlikely.

Throughout this thread people are asking "where is the condemnation from the moderate Muslims"? That was the point I was addressing, and I was merely pointing them to where I've seen it just today.

I'm not disagreeing, any condemnation of violence is a good thing. However just having Muslims who were born and brought up in places like England speak out will achieve little.

It needs the people in the region to say, no, you are not speaking for me. How likely is that in a Country which follows Sharia Law, again I genuinely don't know enough about it to properly comment. However I suspect it is low.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    6 years ago, the muslim world was none existent in your feable minds.

I think the chances of that are nigh on non-existant.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Agreed. Personally, I think if they don't speak out against the slaughter of (hundreds of) thousands of Muslims in Darfur, the likelihood of them speaking out against one murdered nun is less than slim.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝

6 yrs ago, i would have used more intelligent words, actually explaining my thoughts.

"In six more years, perhaps you'll have learned to spell it correctly.

learnt?

Last edited by 100%; 09-18-2006 at 08:44 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    Agreed. Personally, I think if they don't speak out against the slaughter of (hundreds of) thousands of Muslims in Darfur, the likelihood of them speaking out against one murdered nun is less than slim.
    That's true.

One suspects that it's the fault of the Americans, supported by the British tho'. I'm not entirely sure why, however it's almost certainly the case. Probably by not overthrowing the Sudanese Government.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    Those in the Muslim world who are offended seem to be the type who provide their own context for feeling slighted by Pope Ben's remarks.

It doesn't appear they will suffer any exploration of their intent by anyone, for any purpose.

I guess we'd better watch for terrorist acts in Vatican City, huh?

BTW-

Where is the relevant commentary from the "tolerance" crowd?

Oh, that's right-they don't do Catholic...
    honestly, i cant think why other muslims are really, that angry at him

i mean really, wtf did he do to make people acutally make moltovcocktails(sp?) and acutally attack a church.

It even says in the Qu'ran to be brothers and this is how we treat him?

we'd be better off if all of us just ignored it
    The Homicidal,Suicidal,Genocidal

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49

I must say, this is the very first instance I have heard any variety of Muslim voices whatsoever denouncing violence, however mildly.

I would be very interested to hear the heavyweights at CAIR do the same thing, but they are an interesting case; on one hand, they are regarded as "the moderate and accepted voice" of Islam (this is how they paint themselves, anyway), while on the other, they tout the inevitability of Islam uber alles.

I have never heard any Muslim voice raised in opposition to this view; this has the effect of creating the perception of tacit unity with your average "non-violent" Muslim.

On a related note, I have several recollections of "non-affiliated" Muslims expressing concern at the possibility of violence arising from anti-Muslim sentiment.

Does it occur to them they might benefit by giving voice to their distaste (if such exists) for violent acts commited in the name of Islam?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    Curious, that.

We talk a great game about Darfur; the U.N. gives great lip-service, but is effectively impotent.

Whence comes the moral authority to compel genuine multilateral action in this situation?

If the U.S. jumps in, the rest of the world will cheer/not cheer and announce their willingness to closely observe our progress so as to criticize us for our rashness.

Genuine aid, hardware, and military forces will come from a small coalition willing to work under the adverse conditions that await.

The French will promise thousands of troops, then send a sous chef and a dishwasher.

Meanwhile...the beat goes on.

The fact of the matter is death means martyrdom for these crazies, and if any innocent Muslim gets in their way, tough, and "we can always blame it on the Americans".

-Mark Twain

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast