Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Increase Line Gain

Poster
    Originally posted by vlovich+26 May 2003 - 22:33--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vlovich @ 26 May 2003 - 22:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--sk8punk151@26 May 2003 - 06:55
    lol? I have been using computers for 10 years. I know plenty. hah. I am not gullible and I know my connection speed and my modem. Just because I can get fast speeds and you can&#39;t doesnt mean shit. You don&#39;t have to be a smart ass about it either.. Oh, and talking shit online is for pussys my friend.

The only &#39;n00b&#39; here is you. You only have 8 post and already are beggining to talk shit and act like a smart ass.
    i&#39;m a n00b cause i only have 8 posts on this forum? wow... thanks for telling me. i guess the hundreds of posts on other hardware forums and warez forums don&#39;t count for anything. you stay on your 56k then if you think you can download at anything over 7 Kbytes/s. Instead of talking bull, why don&#39;t you post a screenshot of your download halfway through and still downloading over 7 KBytes/s because we all now (well you might not) that most download accelerators don&#39;t report the correct speed for the first part of the download. better yet, i&#39;ll send you my ftp info, and you download a file of your choosing. since my max upload is 20 KBytes consistent, this should be more than enough to prove you wrong. [/b][/quote]
    Very well put and i agree with what your saying.Some people just can&#39;t help talking shite and giving bad attitude.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by sk8punk151@21 May 2003 - 17:57
    It has nothing to do with turning up the voltage. In fact, its illegal to turn it up. FCC made it illegal in the United States (dont know why..) that you can only get i think 50k down and 25k up.. I think thats it, although I am not 100% sure. Its somewhere along those lines..
    As far as download/upload speed limits, 56k speeds in the USA are limited to ~53.6k down and about the same speed up... BUT modems aren&#39;t designed to reach upload speeds that high.

Back when I was on a 56k, I could get 50.6 kbps connect speeds and ~5 to 5.5KB/sec download speeds.

v.90 56k modems are limited to 33.6k upload speeds
    v.92 56k modems are limited to 48k upload speeds

VERY few will actually reach those values, but many get 90% or more of that.

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Why would isuru and I &#39;talk shit&#39; and &#39;lie&#39; just for the fun of it? LOL.. Umm, ok well shit happens.. A mod should lock this before that smart ass gets babbling again about how in-genius he is with computers

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    i&#39;m not saying i&#39;m a genius. i&#39;m saying you should read a bit of research before you open your mouth. perhaps you have kbits and kbytes mixed up. i dunno. read Switeck&#39;s post cause he&#39;s dead on about what he&#39;s talking about. and before you start talking back more, put your money where your mouth is. i am pming you right now with ftp details. go on at any time when you think your getting great speeds and start downloading. i&#39;ll post on the forum with the results as soon as you do so.

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    and sk8punk151, if 56k could reach the speeds you say, why don&#39;t all telco&#39;s do that for their low-end service. it sure beats out the cable offerings especially at a much lower price. if 56k (or even a faster derivative) could reach that speed, telcos would&#39;ve found a way to do so. as it stands, analog modems are stuck at a maximum physical transfer speed of 56 Kbits/sec. it&#39;s not even the modem that has anything to do with it. it&#39;s the actual way that they transfer data. that&#39;s why it took a while to bring it up to 56 K from 33.6K and even then they limited it because they feared that it would provide a lot of interference (if you don&#39;t know what that is, it meant that modem signals would spill over into normal communication)

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    okay. pm is now sent. let&#39;s see how he replies. as soon as he start&#39;s downloading from me, i will post an update. if he manages to get any speeds higher than 7 Kbytes/sec (won&#39;t even manage that) on a 56k modem, i will shut up. i promise. and then i will switch from my &#036;40 broadband connection to a 56k one for &#036;10

PS. sorry bout the double post

PPS. Just to recap what this thread was about, DarthInsinuate made a suggestion on how to increase your 56K modem from 4KBytes/s to 5 Kbytes/s. Maybe his suggestion is worth a try.

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    Going back to the comment about noobs and number of posts, I think you will find that many people only post when they have something USEFUL to say. NOT just posting for the sake of looking more knowledgable. This from a 56k person who is lucky to get 3-4kbs no matter where my modem thinks it is. I actually live in Thailand, but I have told it MANY times it is in USA. Still doesn&#39;t get faster&#33;........Useless&#33;&#33;

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    The old style pre adsl phone lines can actually take a maximum 64k rather than 56k (post adsl lines can take 64k but there are no 64k modems), i know why they are at 56k in the first place, this is due to it being the mean speed the phone lines can take and since, was made standard. Im uk and when i was on 56k i was connecting at 54k all the time. and i was with aol as well, weird non?

But why in the USA they are capped?. why is it illegal to have faster speeds? . can somebody explain both of these points
    Xan

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    correction: i was incorrect. the FCC didn&#39;t limit 56K modems to 53Kbits because of interference.
    It simply limited the amount of power that can be put onto a phone line. However, apperantly this restriction was lifted in 1998. But 7 Kbytes/s is still impossible for 56K because you have to take overhead into account as well which means that for every packet that you recieve every second, a fraction of that packet will be header/tail which means, for instance, if you have a 14 Kbyte file, and your modem is constantly transferring at 7 Kbytes/s, it will take longer than 2 seconds to dowload the file, which means your actual speed will still be perhaps 6.7

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    Ok, I know your all going to dismiss this as a fake or something to that extent, but it isnt. I know, it&#39;s not kazaa and its not windows downloader, but when I was downloading this program off of cnet.com download manager I was reaching the speeds I have said I have reached before.. This is my proof.. Say what you want, I truly don&#39;t care what you people think any more..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast