Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Increase Line Gain

DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    i don't think alot of people do this (probably because they hate the automated operators)

but anyway just call your phone company's tech support line and as them to 'increase the gain on your line'

ask them how long it'll take and then wait

after doing this you'll have a better quality phone line

for me this increased my connection from 4kb/s to 5/kbs
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    thanks for the tip... I must try this, my connection sucks alot of the time

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    is this really true? what exactly does it do?

will the phone compnay make you pay to do this?
    PLEASE help me get my Free IPOD! my brother got his 4 days ago and i need help with referrals. the screensavers just aired a story and it works. Just use my referral link and i suggest the 2 week blockbuster trial. you won't owe anything! http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10154369

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    It is always worth a try but when i rung up and asked back when i was on 56k they told me no.

they can only turn it up so far.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Originally posted by ripley02@9 May 2003 - 16:11
    is this really true? what exactly does it do?

will the phone compnay make you pay to do this?
    i'm not sure EXACTLY what it does, but its something along the lines of turning the voltage up, which increases the volume

it should be free to do, unless your phone company is very evil, ask them before they do it just incase
    i use BT and they are definately free
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    do u get consistent 5.xx
    i can get 4.5x consistently.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    It has nothing to do with turning up the voltage. In fact, its illegal to turn it up. FCC made it illegal in the United States (dont know why..) that you can only get i think 50k down and 25k up.. I think thats it, although I am not 100% sure. Its somewhere along those lines..

A friend of mine told me a while back that he could tweak the registry to tell the modem that he lived in like Spain.. He said his DL speeds were 20.00 kb/s + always.. But its illegal and I have known people who have got caught doing so (know them from message boards liek these)

The fastest I have ever seen my 56k download is 23.50 kb/s and it stayed at that speed for a good 10 mins.. It was real late at night and usually I can reach speeds over 10.00 kb/s if its late at night and if I am downloading a particulary large file

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    BANNED
    Telstra dont give a sh*t unless I have there crappy service

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by sk8punk151@21 May 2003 - 23:57
    It has nothing to do with turning up the voltage. In fact, its illegal to turn it up. FCC made it illegal  in the United States (dont know why..) that you can only get i think 50k down and 25k up.. I think thats it, although I am not 100% sure. Its somewhere along those lines..

A friend of mine told me a while back that he could tweak the registry to tell the modem that he lived in like Spain.. He said his DL speeds were 20.00 kb/s + always.. But its illegal and I have known people who have got caught doing so (know them from message boards liek these)

The fastest I have ever seen my 56k download is 23.50 kb/s and it stayed at that speed for a good 10 mins.. It was real late at night and usually I can reach speeds over 10.00 kb/s if its late at night and if I am downloading a particulary large file
    I thought you were making some good points... right until your second paragraph. Either you are extremely gullible and know nothing about computers, or you don't know what kind of connection you have. A 56 K modem, physically can't go more than 56 Kbit/s. That means that your claimed speeds of even 10 kbytes/sec are bull (assuming you meant 10 kbytes/s and if you didn't then those speeds are nothing to boast about). Speeds of 7 Kbytes/s are absolute physical max when downloading files on a 56k (for those that don't know the math, 8 kbits = 1 kbyte, 56 kbits = 7 kbytes) unless your downloading uncompressed files (like text) then your maximum is 14 kbytes (I think its 112 kbits for uncompressed files, not completely sure).

Furthermore, even if your friend somehow could manage the magical numbers you spitted out, what the hell would changing the registry accomplish. You can say you live in china if you want. That doesn't mean that you will be magically censored by their goverment. Your ISP (the one that connects you to the internet) doesn't even care what your computer says, it doesn't ask. Even if it magically began to care, do you really think that an American ISP would believe that just because you say your in Spain that it would believe that (unless you were actually in Spain calling long distance) and that it would even increase your speed because your in a different country?

Follow Einstein's advice: keep your mouth shut and let people think your stupid rather than open it and prove them right.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    LOL

AMEN

Thats the best response i have heard, let this be pinned PLZ im sick of people saying they get uber fast dls on 56k, uncompressed files hmm im not sure about that, i thought it would be faster if they where compressed, not the other way around since ur getting more data per packet.

Xan

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast