Thread: Commercials on American TV

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    As a non american, may i ask - how do you usaians manage to cope with the commercials, they seem to come every 2 minutes, it is rediculous.
    I was in new york once and bored watched some tv, my brain couldn't handle the flipping from ad to show to ad to show until i didnt know which was the show.

Over here it is definetly not that often, (on some channels not permitted during anytype of airing) and if they air something from the USA they cut out the commercials, (alot of blanks) but still..
    it seems that those small 2 minutes is half filled with "we'll be right back, clap clap, clap, put on logo of show, foxnews is the best etc blah etc, peep commercial comes in " and then when they return "logo of show, we are the best, groovy tune, husky/sexy voice over etc, and then "welcome back (from hell) and then rexplain what the show was about, clap clap".

Are all your channels like that

ffs

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    As a non american, may i ask - how do you usaians manage to cope with the commercials, they seem to come every 2 minutes, it is rediculous.
    I was in new york once and bored watched some tv, my brain couldn't handle the flipping from ad to show to ad to show until i didnt know which was the show.

Over here it is definetly not that often, (on some channels not permitted during anytype of airing) and if they air something from the USA they cut out the commercials, (alot of blanks) but still..
    it seems that those small 2 minutes is half filled with "we'll be right back, clap clap, clap, put on logo of show, foxnews is the best etc blah etc, peep commercial comes in " and then when they return "logo of show, we are the best, groovy tune, husky/sexy voice over etc, and then "welcome back (from hell) and then rexplain what the show was about, clap clap".

Are all your channels like that

ffs
    No, just Foxnews.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    It depends on what the show is.

Sporting events have the most. There's have commercial breaks at halftime and every timeout.

TV shows have them approximately every 15 minutes (not 2) and the break is about 3 minutes long.

Keep in mind also that American TV is probably the biggest market for TV (besides maybe India) and those commercials pay for our TV shows.

I since I started using tivo, I don't see much in the way of commercials. I never watch a show when it comes on. I let it record first.
    I have 3 minute skip programmed mainly for TV shows. As soon a break hits, I press the skip and I'm right back to my show.

For football I use a 30-second skip. Football over here is notorious for it's many stop and starts. Dominic Purcell (Lincoln Burrows) was on the field at our season opener between Pittsburgh and Miami and said that he loved the game but it had to many breaks. He played Australian football. This is mainly because between each play there is a 40 second play clock.

After every play, I hit the 30 second skip and I'm right back to the game. I watch a game meant for 3 hours, minus halftime, play clocks, timeouts, etc., in about a hour ten minutes. I usually catch up to the original airing.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 09-16-2006 at 03:08 PM.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I'm sure my cable provider syncronises the channels so that if you channel hop you just get more adverts.
    Still they are usually more entertaining than the shows and they make more new adverts than new shows.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I don't watch regular tv cause its the same in Canada . I have a cable box so I can watch movie or sports commercial free .

Should add some commercials are quite funny like the Super Bowl ones but the Euro ones are a little more "Adult " maybe ?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    I don't watch regular tv cause its the same in Canada . I have a cable box so I can watch movie or sports commercial free .

Should add some commercials are quite funny like the Super Bowl ones but the Euro ones are a little more "Adult " maybe ?
    Hell even our cable channels have commershskulls, basic cable that is. Channels like TBS, FX, USA, etc.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    During the Salt Lake olimpics, just before the closing ceremonys, I remember one of the commentators stating that they were running more commercials than normal right then (They were running more comercials than olimpics at the time) so that they didn't have to show as many commercials as normal during the closing ceremony. despite this, there were still several comercial breaks during the closing ceremony.

I guess comercials don't really bother me considering I don't watch tv (as in, I don't remember when I last watched tv)
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestv View Post
    During the Salt Lake olimpics, just before the closing ceremonys, I remember one of the commentators stating that they were running more commercials than normal right then (They were running more comercials than olimpics at the time) so that they didn't have to show as many commercials as normal during the closing ceremony. despite this, there were still several comercial breaks during the closing ceremony.

I guess comercials don't really bother me considering I don't watch tv (as in, I don't remember when I last watched tv)
    Maybe the Salt Lake City Games?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Just use the commercial breaks to have secks.