Thread: Motherboard Question....

I've a chaintech ct-6wiv motherboard which supports Intel370 processors up to 850Mhz. I've now an Intel Celeron 533Mhz cpu in it. Now is my question : Is it possible to put an Intel Celeron 1.0Ghz cpu in it to upgrade??? Will the processor work without problems(I think it would work on 850Mhz) or can I better look for an other processor like Intel Celeron 850Mhz???? Yes I know Pentium III is better but Celeron is much cheaper and it will do it for me good enough....
    Many thanks for your answers

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Anyone with some answere?????

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    What is the exact model of the board, reviewing the 'ct-6wiv' does not indicate support for anything beyond 500mhz. Research I did shows that 6wiv only supporting up to 500mhz, some less. Give the exact model number. Given what you have would tell me no you cannot upgrade. If your board is indeed upgradable to 850mhz, why get the 1.0ghz, just get the 850mhz Celeron, what about 30-40 bucks these days?
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thank you for your advice. I've updated my BIOS so the new online user's guide of my ct-6wiv0 motherboard says that it will support 850mhz. Do you know a good computerstore here in Holland especially in the Hague (I'm coming from holland)?????

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Why spend money on upgrading to 850? Check out prices for a new motherboard before spending it on that. To replace the motherboard is probably less than you think.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by monkeyface@7 May 2003 - 15:26
    Thank you for your advice. I've updated my BIOS so the new online user's guide of my ct-6wiv0 motherboard says that it will support 850mhz. Do you know a good computerstore here in Holland especially in the Hague (I'm coming from holland)?????
    Sorry, I'm from the US, so I could not point you to a pc store. However lots of members from the UK refer to Ebuyer.com. Maybe that will help some.

@Somebody1234,
    Why invest in a new motherboard if it's the 533mhz cpu he wants to upgrade. Appears he wants a faster cpu than what he currently runs. If the board can now handle a 850mhz, better to just invest in that. Otherwise a new board and a new cpu means spending more, not less.

I always thought the Celerons were famous for overclocking ability. That would be my first attempt. Guess it would also depend on what 533 cpu you had, the 533 or 533A.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    racer II's Avatar Poster
    Check out this site: www.tweakers.net and go to "price watch".
    System:
    LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Xfx 7900gt extreme
    2x Maxtor 250gb sata
    2x Maxtor 80gb (p)ata
    2x 512mb mem , dual channel
    Tagan 580w psu
    Coolermaster stacker case
    Zalman reserator 1