Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Good and Bad

  1. #1
    NeoTheOne's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,570
    What is Good, And What Is Bad?

    Is there really a definite definition, or is it based on precipitin.

    One might say that Good is what is Lawful and Bad is what is Unlawful. But again there are some laws which people refuse to follow. For example i dont know if this is still in effect but i rember when wearing religious head ware was banned in France. Well then if you were to wear it will be considered unlawful and thus be Bad?. But its not bad.

    So What is Good and what is Bad?

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    19,934
    There is more than one way to define the difference between good and bad, depending on one's precipitin.

    The following are a few examples of what may be considered good / bad, this list is far from exhaustive.

    1. The law, to break laws may be considered bad.

    2. Religious dogma, for example breaking a commandment.

    3. One's conscience, doing something one has decided for themselves is wrong.

    4. Circumstances, something may be intrinsically bad, however if it is the lesser of two bad things then would it be wrong to carry out the act. It may be required to knock out a drowning child, in order to save their life. Would hitting the child be bad.

    Like I said this is far from being exhaustive, one must consider many factors. However in my view matters of conscience and belief outweigh matters of law, when it comes to deciding on what is good and what is bad.

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,671
    A child is completly unaware of the fact that pulling that object could kill him.
    We tell the child that it is bad to pull that object.

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by neotheone View Post
    What is Good, And What Is Bad?

    Is there really a definite definition, or is it based on precipitin.

    One might say that Good is what is Lawful and Bad is what is Unlawful. But again there are some laws which people refuse to follow. For example i dont know if this is still in effect but i rember when wearing religious head ware was banned in France. Well then if you were to wear it will be considered unlawful and thus be Bad?. But its not bad.

    So What is Good and what is Bad?
    really, i dont think there is a good and a bad

    good could be anything in anyone's mind

    so could bad
    The Homicidal,Suicidal,Genocidal

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Over here!
    Posts
    19,631
    Bad is that which hurts people.

    Good is that which benefits people.



    At the end of the day, good and bad is often just a matter of interpretation.

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    near border
    Posts
    527
    If you don't know what is good than you are..well.humm..really not inteligent.
    I don't need laws to tell me that killing is bad, i wouldn't do if there was a law that you have to kill. When in religion there are no bad people, you can do whatever you like in the name of your god or just because you like it, all you have to do is to confess to your sins, well only if you think you done bad. At end everybody goes to heaven, good and evil.

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by limesqueezer View Post
    If you don't know what is good than you are..well.humm..really not inteligent.
    unnecessary comment and rude
    I don't need laws to tell me that killing is bad,
    you make it sound like killing is inherently bad was this your intention and if so could you explain why. Personally i agree with BrolyBoo, nothing is inherently good or bad it is all about perspective i.e. in the eye of the beholder. Imo religion and law don't really need to be specifically mentioned, because even though they are important in shaping our beliefs of good and bad, they are just a couple of the social forces which affect our perspective, whereas i think the important thing is that it is your perspective that guides the decision on whether something is good or bad.

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    If only things could be good all the time.

    then we couldn't laugh about the bad times.

    I am going through a serious bad stretch right now, in all the senses. It hurts.
    Last edited by bashnu; 09-22-2006 at 10:21 PM.

  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,644
    not good is bad, and not bad is good.

    Comprendre?
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,006
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    unnecessary comment and rude
    I don't need laws to tell me that killing is bad,
    you make it sound like killing is inherently bad was this your intention and if so could you explain why. Personally i agree with BrolyBoo, nothing is inherently good or bad it is all about perspective i.e. in the eye of the beholder. Imo religion and law don't really need to be specifically mentioned, because even though they are important in shaping our beliefs of good and bad, they are just a couple of the social forces which affect our perspective, whereas i think the important thing is that it is your perspective that guides the decision on whether something is good or bad.
    Where, pray tell do you think you get this percpective from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •